Sugar keeps burning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bramsley

Assistant Cook
Hi - I'm new to the forum, and I'm hoping that someone can help me with a problem I have boiling sugar. I've just bought the Sugarbaby book last week and have tried twice now to follow recipes in it, but both times, the sugar burnt before it had reached the right temperature. I've calibrated my thermometer, but today I also used the cold water test method as well, and the sugar burnt long before it got to the hard-crack stage. Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong? Please let me know if you need more details of equipment used etc.

Thank you,
Bramsley. :(

You could be using too high of heat. Try turning your burner down a bit. It'll take a little longer for the temperature to rise but that should help eliminate severe hot spots.

Thank you Deepfryerdan, I'll try that. I was using a medium heat as per the recipe, but I'll try it again on very low. I'm away until next Thrusady now though, but I'll let you know how I get on when I get back.

Thank you,
Bramsley. :)

You can also try adding just a touch of water, getting caramel right in a dry pan is not easy unless you really know what you are doing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom