Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   BBQ & Smokin' Meats (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   I give to you... Fish Fatty (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/i-give-to-you-fish-fatty-73774.html)

pacanis 07-24-2011 01:04 PM

I give to you... Fish Fatty

5 Attachment(s)
Or if the timing was different, Lenten Fatty. Or Lenten Log :lol:

I've had this idea rolling around in my brain for a while and am finally tackling it today. A fatty made using fish, in this case canned salmon, rather than the usual sausage chub. And stuffed with tiny shrimp and mozzarella.
The salmon was drained and mixed using egg, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground pepper, green onions, parsley, mayo, lemon juice and bread crumbs, as if I was making a salmon patty. One fatty has a "white" taco sauce and one has cocktail sauce.
They are in the fridge while they set up some and I drink a beer :wink:
The WSM will get fired up shortly. My target temp is 160F for the smoker (pretty cold) and 140 for the fatties... so we'll see what happens. I will use apple wood.

Here's some pics so far.

Andy M. 07-24-2011 01:06 PM

Sounds and looks like a good idea. Are you wrapping them in bacon?

pacanis 07-24-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1028158)
Sounds and looks like a good idea. Are you wrapping them in bacon?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
I'm keeping them meat free, just for the heck of it. I had thought of a bacon weave, but with the colder smoking temps used for fish, I just wasn't sure if bacon would work.

roadfix 07-24-2011 02:06 PM

That should work. Right on!

Andy M. 07-24-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1028162)
Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
I'm keeping them meat free, just for the heck of it. I had thought of a bacon weave, but with the colder smoking temps used for fish, I just wasn't sure if bacon would work.

Good point. If this works, a whole new world of possibilities opens up - with or without meat.

Paymaster 07-24-2011 05:27 PM

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you might be on to sumthin!:chef:

buckytom 07-25-2011 12:42 AM

so, how'd it go? looks good to start.

btw, i've heard of salmon bacon before. or you could make a weave out of fish skin, which would crisp in the smoker. i mean, i love crispy fish skin.

just a thought.

Bolas De Fraile 07-25-2011 01:11 AM

Pac mate what a fantastic idea its got legs.

Bolas De Fraile 07-25-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom (Post 1028389)

btw, i've heard of salmon bacon before. or you could make a weave out of fish skin, which would crisp in the smoker. i mean, i love crispy fish skin.

just a thought.

Tom mate what a spiffing idea, we used to have a deli in L/pool that hand sliced smoked salmon, my mum would buy the skins and wrap and poach white fish fillets in them then poach the wrapped fillet in milk, the poaching liquid was then used to make a smoky parsley sauce.Served with mash it was fantastic.I bet the skin would work like a dream on Pacs dish.

buckytom 07-25-2011 01:25 AM

if we got together, we'd eat like the kings we despise... lol.

but really, fried salmon skin is akin to fried pork rinds, but on a fishy note. they're fantastic. great as a filler for temaki.

so, where's ridgeback daddy himself on the fish rolatini?