What's your favourite type of sushi/sashimi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uni is something that it seems is either loved or hated. It's actually only the gonads of the sea urchin, but most believe it to be the meat of the whole urchin.

I've tried it several times and either I'm getting old Uni or I just don't care for it. It seems to have a bitter aftertaste on the back of the tongue that turns me off.

Question for you Uni people; when it's bitter like that, is it just gone bad or is that it's normal flavor?

I've never noticed any bitterness. In fact, it seems to me to have a subtle sweetness. Along with the slight brininess.

I've never noticed any bitterness <in uni>. In fact, it <uni> seems to me to have a subtle sweetness. Along with the slight brininess.

Isn't that odd? I've had the same experience each time I tried it. Perhaps all of them were bad? I got an unpleasant bitterness on the back of my tongue and it seemed to have a slightly sour taste.

Others have told me that it may be uni that is not fresh and that I should ask when their supply of uni comes in, so I can try it the same day. I like almost everything, food wise. I'll continue to try uni several more times in different places and see if I find *one* time that I love it. If so, then I'll know it's a quality issue, not the food itself.

I think my favourite has to be tuna sashimi, lots of ginger and wasabi and a miso soup. Needing a sushi fix soon!

qmax said:
Unquestionably uni (sea urchin). Briney, buttery essence of the sea.

Too bad it is so expensive.

I have never tried sea urchin, although lately it seems to be all the rage. Is it similar in taste and/or texture to any other seafood/s?

I love uni, but for some strange gastric reason, it doesn't mix well with sake, so I have to order one and digest it early into my sushi sit-down. Hard to beat a good maguro or toro tuna for me. Can't think of a sushi or sashimi I don't like...

What do you all think of kaiten zushi? A restaurant that serves its sushi on color coded plates on a conveyor belt. Cheesy, but I love 'em.

I love uni, but for some strange gastric reason, it doesn't mix well with sake, so I have to order one and digest it early into my sushi sit-down. Hard to beat a good maguro or toro tuna for me. Can't think of a sushi or sashimi I don't like...

What do you all think of kaiten zushi? A restaurant that serves its sushi on color coded plates on a conveyor belt. Cheesy, but I love 'em.

Sake is sort of an issue with sushi in general. Purists will tell you it diminishes the flavor of the vinegared rice. Frankly, I like chilled, dry sake enough that I disregard the issue.

I first ran across kaiten sushi in the early '90s in Tokyo. Business had me going there a number of times. I have been to few kaiten places in the US in recent years, as they have caught on, but I haven't found anyplace that I thought the quality was very good.

Sake is sort of an issue with sushi in general. Purists will tell you it diminishes the flavor of the vinegared rice. Frankly, I like chilled, dry sake enough that I disregard the issue.

I first ran across kaiten sushi in the early '90s in Tokyo. Business had me going there a number of times. I have been to few kaiten places in the US in recent years, as they have caught on, but I haven't found anyplace that I thought the quality was very good.

I love to have chilled Muroka Sake with sushi. It's thicker, creamy texture is perfect to sip as a palate cleanser between bites instead of using ginger.

I've yet to ever see a Kaiten Sushi place. I know there isn't one in my city, and I've never heard of one in Jacksonville, Florida. I'd like to see one sometime.

Since we live just minutes from Little Tokyo in L.A. there are tons of sushi joints but I know of only one kaiten zushi joint and they've been there for years. That place also happens to have the funkiest, non traditional name of all sushi places.....The Frying Fish....which makes absolutely no sense.
We've eaten there at least a dozen times over the years. Pretty decent sushi.
They tabulate your tab at the end od your meal by the color coded dishes left on the counter.

I really like the Rainbow rolls. They usually have 3-4 different pieces of fish on top. Most of the time its salmson, tuna, white fish, and red snapper. Always so good, and you get the best of all the more popular types of fish. Mmm...now I want sushi :)

I just love sushi! I still remember the first time I ate sushi. It was a fancy Japanese restaurant in Barcelona, we went there for my 18th birthday :) had a private room and our own sushi chef! No other sushi or sashimi compares to what we had that night. I really wish I could find a decent place to go to here! South Africa has decent Sushi but here in Botswana the closest you get is a California Roll and then it's not even that good :(

Back
Top Bottom