What is your favorite seafood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
only if they're alive, alive oh.

i've had whelks in the caribbean that were delicious. they were simply grilled in their shells, foot up to hold in their liquor.
after grilling, you just peel the foot pad and pull the ugly little slug out. but they're oh so good.

I concur Tom I do like a fresh raw sea urchin, they are just like a fishy soft boiled egg.:)

Because I can get it, lobster. When living in Florida, though, it was rock shrimp and a kind of crab claw that is very seasonal (the crab actually lives and grows a new one, so they are very restricted, can't remember what they're called). I do believe sometimes that having every food available every day of the year lulls us into complacency and probably is bad for the environment. Both of these were very seasonal and, at least up until 1990, really not available except locally.

I can also get excellent IQF scallops here and just love them seared with a cream and sherry sauce, over linguini. Yummm....

you are so spot on about seasonality, anticipation and the environment. instant gratification rules, and we lose....

Have yet to meet seafood I hate, a favorite is hard to pick. I once had, in one sitting, a scallop the size of a softball, a foot-long prawn loaded with a gazillion eggs, shark fin soup, and more dishes that evening which are lost in a haze. And yes, I know, shark fin is a no-no. Toro, raw big-eye tuna belly is awfully delicious. Yes, I know about them, too. I like to cook and serve salmon, especially wild sockeye in season.

Pacific red snapper, as blackened red fish, as fish & chips, and as Snapper Romana.

BTW, trout and tilapia are NOT seafood. They are both fresh water fish, and there are no fresh water seas! I'm not crazy about trout, but I do love my Kung Pao tilapia.

I concur Tom I do like a fresh raw sea urchin, they are just like a fishy soft boiled egg.:)

I'm dying to try some. Haven't had the opportunity yet and I would love to try abelone as well. Maybe next time I go down to Cape Town:) To far from the ocean at the moment to get more daring than the frozen stuff :LOL:

Abalone sandwich? When I was a kid in California I tried to cook abalone and no matter what we tried it was so rubbery that it was like fish-flavoured chewing gum! Gave Up. Of course that was 40 years ago!

>>trout and tilapia are NOT seafood. They are both fresh water fish

tilapia yes, trout curiously is a yes / no / both

from stuff I read a while back, steel head trout are genetically identical to rainbow trout - steel heads go to sea, rainbow remain landlocked.....

walking past the fish counter, one could easily mistake steel head for wild caught sockeye - or any of the really red fleshed salmon (ie not farmed pink....)

as a bloke once explained to me: "I'm a seafood lover - I love all the food I see."

Last edited:
Actually, I thought seafood was a pretty basic term used to describe anything in the fish or amphibian department. I know around here frog legs are found in the seafood dept. Fresh water mussels and clams are found in the seafood section, too. And who knows where Mrs Paul's is found... :ermm:

:LOL:

I just abandoned lobster for chanpagne oysters. They are heaven and I never get enough of them. phil's get ready for me I'm having cravings for oysters and lobster with butter.
kades;)

Do you have a favorite recipe for them you could share?

TIA! :chef::)
I'll see if I can find Phil's recipe. I do know they are In the shell when served. They seem to be cooked with finely sliced shallots champagne lemon juice I slurp them down so fast the taste tends to escape me. Ill go look and report back.
kades:LOL:

I'll see if I can find Phil's recipe. I do know they are In the shell when served. They seem to be cooked with finely sliced shallots champagne lemon juice I slurp them down so fast the taste tends to escape me. Ill go look and report back.
kades:LOL:

Thanks! Some like the cream style version of the sauce and some like it as a broth type sauce. I think I would like both...:pig::LOL:

You don't have to get technical. If it has fins and swims, it's seafood. :-p

Yes, I do have to get technical. I am, after all, a TECHNICAL writer! :-p

Next thing ya know, someone will start calling their pond koi seafood!

Last edited:
Yes, I do have to get technical. I am, after all, a TECHNICAL writer! :-p

So was I... technical illustrator/technical writer for 12 years (RCA Gov. Services, Rockwell International, TRW Aerospace Div., Univox Inc., Lockheed), total of 49 government publications :-p ;)

I never did get that 50th!!! :mad:

Mrs. Pauls isn't seafood... It's mystery... stuff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom