Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Culinary Gardener (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f139/)
-   -   Tomatoes and more tomatoes! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f139/tomatoes-and-more-tomatoes-73967.html)

MSC 08-01-2011 03:37 AM

Tomatoes and more tomatoes!

That time of the year & our tomato plants pumping out 8 varieties, so trying to keep on top of it, just did 2 large trays of tomato confit, a few jars worth of tomato chutney and a baked spaghetti, Italian sausage and veggie casserole using fresh tomatoes.
Any suggestions for more ways to use tomatoes would be appreciated.

vitauta 08-01-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSC (Post 1031927)
That time of the year & our tomato plants pumping out 8 varieties, so trying to keep on top of it, just did 2 large trays of tomato confit, a few jars worth of tomato chutney and a baked spaghetti, Italian sausage and veggie casserole using fresh tomatoes.
Any suggestions for more ways to use tomatoes would be appreciated.

looks to me like you are doing just magnificently. i don't have a recipe for you, but my mom made fresh tomato juice for us throughout tomato season. she had no recipe either, just blended tomatoes, strained the mixture, tasting, and dding seasonings the result was indescribably delicious--a frothy reddish coral concoction that still has me smacking my lips thinking about it....:smile::smile:

joesfolk 08-01-2011 06:38 AM

I am so jealous! We just ate our first fresh tomatoe of the season and we won't be having an abundant supply since all of our plants are in containers this year. You might consider trying to make a nice thick catsup from roasted tomatoes. I'm sure you can google a good recipe.

Bolas De Fraile 08-01-2011 08:30 AM

Same here MSC ive got loads but I cant eat them:sad:

betterthanabox 08-01-2011 08:41 AM

Send them to me :) I have 4 Roma plants and 1 big boy. I don't really like Romas it seems :(

vitauta 08-01-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile (Post 1031994)
Same here MSC ive got loads but I cant eat them:sad:

that's beyond sad, bolas, that's downright obscene....:cry:

Robo410 08-01-2011 09:09 AM

fried red tomatoes: buttermilk, flour, butter, pan (basil or oregano if desired with s and p)

tomato and cheese quesadillas

fresh tomato soup (hot or cold)

Katie H 08-01-2011 09:32 AM

Tuna-stuffed tomatoes. We had these for supper a couple of nights ago. Really, really delicious and amazingly filling. I added about 1/4 cup of shredded 4-cheese blend to the mixture. It really showcased the tomatoes and the tuna filling wasn't gloppy mayoniassey, which really went well with the fresh tomatoes.

JMediger 08-01-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 1032008)
Tuna-stuffed tomatoes. We had these for supper a couple of nights ago. Really, really delicious and amazingly filling. I added about 1/4 cup of shredded 4-cheese blend to the mixture. It really showcased the tomatoes and the tuna filling wasn't gloppy mayoniassey, which really went well with the fresh tomatoes.

Oh my! Those look delicious! I was going to suggest stuffing them too, we are fans of chicken salad. We also tend to eat quite a few grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches when they are really coming on.

vitauta 08-01-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 1032008)

really liking the looks of this recipe--the incorporation of the tomato's pulp and seeds with the tuna--nice, fresh, simple combination of goodies, and NO mayo!:smile:heading out to buy italian parsley....