Cured, fermented, dried or smoked meats and sausages.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I love many varieties of cured, fermented, dried or smoked meats and sausages.
Some of my favourites are Salami, Bierwurst, Eisbein, Pastrami etc.
German sausages are my favourite so far but I would love to try others and some of the German ones that I'm not familiar with. I often see deli meats such as these available here but they don't mention on the packaging whether they need to be cooked or if they are meant to be consumed as is. Most of our Deli's don't have staff that know much about their product either.
I could Google the products I buy but would prefer to get an opinion from members here on DC that have tried the actual products and know the best ways of eating them.
If you have eaten and like any similar products please share the name and what it actually is and how you would eat it!
I like the sour taste of cured and fermented meats most but also love the smoky flavours.
Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

The smoked meat I prefer here in Italy is Speck: here you can find a good link to this fantastic food.

40791-albums374-picture2912.jpg

It's really gooooooood, and you can use it in some recipes too, like with tagliatelle cream and speck, for example. I think you can easily find it online, just check if it's the real thing, as usual.

Buon appetito!

What is available here, is probably not availble where you are. So how can we recomend anything. I love all smoked meats. Can live on it. But American "cold cuts" do not come close to any even half decent Europian smoked meats.

What is available here, is probably not availble where you are. So how can we recomend anything. I love all smoked meats. Can live on it. But American "cold cuts" do not come close to any even half decent Europian smoked meats.
We have a large variety of Imported cold cuts etc from all over the world. Just wanted to know which ones other members have tried and liked. Doesn't have to be American either :)

Aaaaarghhhh!!! I was forgetting the Bresaola, poor me... I ate it for a whole summer while I was working as a waiter and barman on top of some mountain border post, in Valtellina.
Here is a link, and down here an image.

40791-albums374-picture2913.jpg

Aaaaarghhhh!!! I was forgetting the Bresaola, poor me... I ate it for a whole summer while I was working as a waiter and barman on top of some mountain border post, in Valtellina.
Here is a link, and down here an image.

40791-albums374-picture2913.jpg

This looks very good too :) I would skip the kind made from horse meat though. I've seen this at an Italian deli close to where I live. How do you personally eat it?

Last edited:
This looks very good too :) I would skip the kind made from horse meat though. I've seen this at an Italian deli close to where I live. How do you personally eat it?

I actually eat the horse version. And I like too a cured meat similar to the bresaola, made with donkey or mule meat; it's called "slinzega", but you can find it (and it's not so easy) only in the mountains. :pig:

Russians live on cold cuts. Any russian store, here, has at least 20-30 different kinds of smoked salamies, sauseges, meats, hot dogs, etc, etc.

Russians live on cold cuts. Any russian store, here, has at least 20-30 different kinds of smoked salamies, sauseges, meats, hot dogs, etc, etc.

It's not a requirement to post on all threads, if you can't or don't want to suggest a product you know and like you don't have to. Thank you for mentioning that you can find many cold cuts in your country though :)

Had some Jagdwurst sliced on Sour Dough bread with loads of hot German mustard for lunch today. I'm adding this to one of my favourites :)

Well, I have no problem sugesting. For example cold smoked bear salami, cold smoked horse salami, liverwurst, product simular to the one one the picture Luka posted, we called Balik.

Well, I have no problem sugesting. For example cold smoked bear salami, cold smoked horse salami, liverwurst, product simular to the one one the picture Luka posted, we called Balik.

Why thank you CharlieD, I will try liverwurst since it's available here :)
I'm not partial to horse meat though and bear is not something I think I'll find or try but liverwurst sounds good.

I am quite fond of Liverwurst. It is great on small slices of Rye bread with good German Beer at a park. That's how I fell in Love some years ago when I used to ride My BMW motorcycle and we went on a Date!

Also, Young Children love liverwurst,! They like the name, and it's very soft, and doesn't taste like liver!

My Father (85 yr old this year) loves Head Cheese, which is not cheese at all but rather Gellied Meats ...

What Fun!

Eric, Austin Tx .

I am quite fond of Liverwurst. It is great on small slices of Rye bread with good German Beer at a park. That's how I fell in Love some years ago when I used to ride My BMW motorcycle and we went on a Date!

Also, Young Children love liverwurst,! They like the name, and it's very soft, and doesn't taste like liver!

My Father (85 yr old this year) loves Head Cheese, which is not cheese at all but rather Gellied Meats ...

What Fun!

Eric, Austin Tx .

Thanks so much Eric :) You're the first one to actually give me and idea of how to eat one of the products. It's nice to know how people enjoy eating them! I'll be trying the liverwurst on Rye with a cold beer!
I actually love Head Cheese! I've had it many times :) We call it Brawn!

Last edited:
Unfortunatelly an American liverwurst is nothing like the one you get in Russian stores. Russian one is very soft and tender. I really cannot describe the difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom