Dead celebrities' recipes, your thoughts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i saw a recipe for elvis's favorite fried chicken, one for miles davis's beef chili and another for dean martin's burgers. would you be inclined to try a recipe based solely on the stated preference of a celebrity, a deceased celebrity--even if you were once a fan?

Last edited:
Strange Thread V lol! Are you bored by any chance?
I wouldn't try something solely for that reason but if the recipe is good and it happens to be a favourite of a celebrity that is deceased, then yes I would.

i was looking at elvis's chicken recipe. i remember well that elvis loved fried chicken, (and fried banana and peanut butter sandwiches too) but his recipe calls for about twenty herbs and spices. to me, that's a bit excessive, even if he was a "king".... :)

Strange Thread V lol! Are you bored by any chance?
I wouldn't try something solely for that reason but if the recipe is good and it happens to be a favourite of a celebrity that is deceased, then yes I would.

yep, you called that one right, snip. are you suggesting that i'm frivolous? you?:)

Years and years ago, I used to get a magazine, Woman's World I think, that would have recipes from celebrities. I used to laugh at them thinking I knew durn well that those glamorous people had probably never set foot in a kitchen, let alone ever came up with a recipe for anything.

I agree, Kayelle. and these days with all the celebrity cookbooks coming out.... just so you don't think the celebs actually write them, I know several foodwriters who've been paid quite well to ghost write them. :rolleyes:

At least part of the time, celebs are/were asked for recipes for cookbooks, published by charities for money-raising purposes. I used to have a couple, with things like Milton Berle's Scrambled Eggs, Danny Kaye's Lutefisk or some such. Who knows where the recipes came from -- I imagined that the lucky celebrity's cook wrote them down. The star contributed/donated a copy of the recipe with an autographed photo. Fun for all. Wish I hadn't sold those books. :)

I'm not talking about compendia. The books I'm referring to are those out now by Eva Longoria and Gwyneth Paltrow, etc. :rolleyes:

this is turning out to be a "dead or alive?" thread for me.

i have 2 cookbooks from dom delouise, "eat his, it'll make you feel better", and "eat this too" that are recipes and stories from dom and his family. but also a number of them are from celebrity friends of his, such as dinah shore, mel brooks, nancy reagan, anne bancroft, carol burnett, loni anderson, ricardo montalban, and more. (some of the youngins here might have to google some of the names, lol).

it was the first cookbook i ever used trying to learn to cook authentic italian american since many of the recipes and tips are from his mom.

but the best part are the stories, both familial as well as celeb friends.

Back
Top Bottom