Hurricane Irene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
I think it is time to start a Irene thread.
After this evenings storm and tornado warnings passed I made my way to buy the EXTRA things needed for the weekend. (And a few others that jumped into my cart). Beer, Ciggs and Water. I plan on making some cold plate items (in the event of power failure, oh yeah, this is LP CITY USA, it will happen) and I plan on making a Banana Cake with White Chocolate Frosting to snack on. My Kindle and Ipod are charged, my windup/batteries operated Radio is handy along with battery operated lamps and camping lantern.

Is every one in Irene's path ready??

All set!

High tides at 6 to 8am and 6 to 8 pm in St. Augustine tomorrow. The storm surge is expected to be about 2 feet above high tide.

That will cause some minor flooding at my house, but nothing that will cause any real problems.

I have a tidal swamp behind my house, so it'll get a little wet tomorrow.

As long as Irene doesn't take a left turn, I'll be fine here.

We are scheduled for a good hit Sunday afternoon and evening. If Irene goes through Eastern MA, we get 5"-8" of rain. If it goes through Western MA, we get very high winds.

I think it is time to start a Irene thread.
After this evenings storm and tornado warnings passed I made my way to buy the EXTRA things needed for the weekend. (And a few others that jumped into my cart). Beer, Ciggs and Water. I plan on making some cold plate items (in the event of power failure, oh yeah, this is LP CITY USA, it will happen) and I plan on making a Banana Cake with White Chocolate Frosting to snack on. My Kindle and Ipod are charged, my windup/batteries operated Radio is handy along with battery operated lamps and camping lantern.

Is every one in Irene's path ready??

thanks, patty, i'm charging my nook and my dvd player right now. first thing in the morning i'll hit the grocery store, hopefully before the shelves are stripped of bread, milk, toilet paper, etc. like you, i like to treat myself well with good food--sort of a compensation for being cooped up, without power, or whatever. have some fun, and stay safe everyone....

Irene is scaring us over here in Rhode Island honestly... all the water was sold out over at the market today.. .

just get as ready as you can, lay in some good food and drink. forget about irene. she won't stay long. make it a weekend to remember--fondly, with family, with friends. report what you see to dc when you can. take care, varat..:)

one natural disaster after another. on my way to the store for storm supplies. i have this feeling i'm a bit late with this. i hope they still have lettuce and tomatoes....

I hit the market and BJ's last night. People did not seem to be panicking or buying everything in sight. We had some pretty intense thunder and lightning last night. It will be interesting to see what we get this weekend.

We had pictures on the front page of empty shelves at WalMart! DH took the cars out to fill up with gas and there were lines at the pump. I'll be filling up the last car this afternoon, stopping at the bank and picking up some cold cuts. I think I've got everything else. The storm is now tracking a bit east of here but there is still a chance it will roar directly over us. One model has the eye directly on top of my area. We talked about evacuating but I think we will just hunker down. We are in a higher elevation so little chance of flooding in the house. We moved the camper to the street. Propane tanks full for the grill and can use the camper's stove top. Have a gas lantern and many oil lamps in addition to flashlights. Got the laptop and cell phones charging. I think we'll be fine. We survived Isabel in '03.

We had pictures on the front page of empty shelves at WalMart! DH took the cars out to fill up with gas and there were lines at the pump. I'll be filling up the last car this afternoon, stopping at the bank and picking up some cold cuts. I think I've got everything else. The storm is now tracking a bit east of here but there is still a chance it will roar directly over us. One model has the eye directly on top of my area. We talked about evacuating but I think we will just hunker down. We are in a higher elevation so little chance of flooding in the house. We moved the camper to the street. Propane tanks full for the grill and can use the camper's stove top. Have a gas lantern and many oil lamps in addition to flashlights. Got the laptop and cell phones charging. I think we'll be fine. We survived Isabel in '03.

Cold cuts HAVE gotten expensive!!! :LOL:

one natural disaster after another. on my way to the store for storm supplies. i have this feeling i'm a bit late with this. i hope they still have lettuce and tomatoes....

You should be ok. Goochland forecast is for 40 mph winds and heavy rain. You're well to the west and so should do even better. (fingers crossed!)

Irene went past St. Augustine without a problem. The beaches might have gotten a bit of erosion, but at my house, one mile inland, all I got was a little bit of rain.

Thankfully, it was a non-event. Whew!:wacko:

While private messaging a friend who is in the path of Hurricane Irene, I realized the following information might be useful to others, so here are some tips on using oil lamps should you lose power. One of my hobbies is collecting antique oil lamps.
Trim the wicks before lighting them. Trimming means cutting the wick with a pair of scissors so that it arcs (curves) the same amount that the slotted brass dome it comes out of. The idea is to have the same amount of wick exposed along the slot, no matter how much it's curved. This will give you an even flame. Also, when lighting it, touch your lighter or match to the exposed wick and when it begins to sustain a flame, replace the chimney and turn it down a quarter turn or so... into the slot. Give it a couple of moments to warm up before turning it up to medium or high. And if it smokes, turn it down... it's too high. Ideally, the top edge of the wick should be about 1/4" - 3/8" below the edge of the brass slot for maximum light.

Lamp oil can be found at any WalMart, or you can use white, odorless kerosine found in any Home Improvement Center. NEVER - EVER - USE GASOLINE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!!! YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF AND BURN DOWN WHATEVER STRUCTURE YOU ARE IN!!!

Oil lamps are easy and safe to use with just a little thought. They are safer than candles, less expensive to operate and give more light.

Whatever you decide to use, use caution and common sense.

Good advice, Selkie! We have several oil lamps...matter of fact, from as long as I can remember here at home, they were called "hurricane lamps". We don't use them very often. Mrs Hoot and my Mom did not care for the smell. Even the scented oils disagreed with my Mom. We have candle lanterns, which serve nicely, but need many of the same precautions. I expect to lose power and I reckon we are as ready as we can be. I hope this storm passes quickly. I pray that after it passes, everyone in its path will be safe and sound.

Now I think I understand why the earthquake shook up all the easterners so bad.......
you guys need time to talk, shop and do some hand wringing. ;)
All that anticipation would send me under the bed waiting for it to be over with. Shudder!!

Sending safe thoughts to all of you in harm's way.

Last edited:
Please be careful NYC, Jim Cantore is riding out the storm in NYC. He always seems to be in the worst place possible when the storm hits.
As some one who lived through Andrew and Charlie I give one piece of advice...Hide from the wind, RUN from the water. The flooding and surge is much worse than the wind

My DIL just reminded me that her Food Saver is also handy to seal up important documents.

I've always wondered whether bank safe deposit boxes ever get waterlogged. How about those deeds, passports, etc.?

You should be ok. Goochland forecast is for 40 mph winds and heavy rain. You're well to the west and so should do even better. (fingers crossed!)

breathing easier already. thanks for the reassure. we fretful neurotics sometimes tend to tangle ourselves into useless knots of despair. kroger store shelves had been decimated by the time i got there. i left without bottled water. at home, i filled a jug with tap water for the fridge, and will fill another pail when the storm is nearing. why did i think i needed to buy bottled water, anyway? i almost never use it except for my keurig coffee machine. take care pod, and all our dc storm watchers, we'll all be okay and back to normal by monday....:)

Back
Top Bottom