Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   How does the Chinese restaurant do it? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/how-does-the-chinese-restaurant-do-it-74485.html)

callahan9119 08-27-2011 06:27 PM

How does the Chinese restaurant do it?

They have this dish, sizzling steak in a black pepper sauce, it comes on one of those sizzle plates. It's completely pointless to ask them how they get the steak the way they do, the most helpful response I ever got there was when I asked what was in the brown sauce, she said "brown sauce". Otherwise I get nothing to help me with menu questions, but damn they have good food.

I've recreated the pepper sauce perfectly, what I did was got top round steaks, very quickly browned it in my cast irin skillet and put it in the sauce to slow cook for a while. The steak came out nothing like theirs, it was very "tender", but it had a dryness to it that the restaurant doesn't have. Theirs is so soft and moist it's unbelievable. How do they do it? Some kind of marinade or something?

They can't be using an expensive cut, because the dish only costs 10 bucks.

powerplantop 08-27-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callahan9119 (Post 1042333)
They have this dish, sizzling steak in a black pepper sauce, it comes on one of those sizzle plates. It's completely pointless to ask them how they get the steak the way they do, the most helpful response I ever got there was when I asked what was in the brown sauce, she said "brown sauce". Otherwise I get nothing to help me with menu questions, but damn they have good food.

I've recreated the pepper sauce perfectly, what I did was got top round steaks, very quickly browned it in my cast irin skillet and put it in the sauce to slow cook for a while. The steak came out nothing like theirs, it was very "tender", but it had a dryness to it that the restaurant doesn't have. Theirs is so soft and moist it's unbelievable. How do they do it? Some kind of marinade or something?

They can't be using an expensive cut, because the dish only costs 10 bucks.

Velveting creates a very tender and moist beef. To see how I velvet beef watch this. I no longer make this sauce. One time it it is good another not so good. Depending upon how I measure.
Beef with Broccoli - YouTube

For a brown sauce try the sauce I use in this one.
Mongolian Beef - YouTube

callahan9119 08-27-2011 09:16 PM

Thank You!

I was dumbfounded over how they did that to such cheap "steak".

powerplantop 08-27-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callahan9119 (Post 1042384)
Thank You!

I was dumbfounded over how they did that to such cheap "steak".

Velveting works, I love the results but it is really a cheat to put out more dishes in a short time. The beef in the Mongolian video was very tender and tasty. By velveting they can cook beef ahead of time and keep it ready to go.

CharlieD 08-28-2011 12:08 AM

Thanks for the videos.

Aunt Bea 08-28-2011 01:41 AM

Power,
Thanks for the videos, they are very helpful!

powerplantop 08-28-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD (Post 1042425)
Thanks for the videos.

Your welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1042452)
Power,
Thanks for the videos, they are very helpful!

Your welcome

callahan9119 08-28-2011 11:53 AM

@Powerplantop

I really like your pictures on flickr, you appear to travel alot. It looks like you eat a lot of good restaurant food make a lot of good stuff yourself.

powerplantop 08-28-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callahan9119 (Post 1042617)
@Powerplantop

I really like your pictures on flickr, you appear to travel alot. It looks like you eat a lot of good restaurant food make a lot of good stuff yourself.

Thank you. Yes I travel all of the time, so I eat a lot of meals at restaurants. I try to eat healthy and local. I love to cook and my travels influence my cooking. The mongolian beef video I posted was me cooking in Chile. My next location is Colombia.

Kayelle 08-28-2011 12:42 PM

I always enjoy your cooking video's PP! I really appreciate they are straightforward and non pretentious, and thanks for going to the trouble of making them. Sometime ago I watched a video about how to do the velveting method and the girl was so annoying I gave up. :lol: