How do you keep your bananas from going bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pennywaltz

Assistant Cook
So yeah I love buying the 3 lb $1.25 Banana deals from costcos. they are usually very green when I buy them. But they turn the perfect yellowish color in a day or two.

So how do I preserve these bananas from going bad quickly? I live alone and I don't think I can eat 3 lbs of banana in the short lifespan of a bananas... I feel bad wasting it....

pennywaltz said:
So yeah I love buying the 3 lb $1.25 Banana deals from costcos. they are usually very green when I buy them. But they turn the perfect yellowish color in a day or two.

So how do I preserve these bananas from going bad quickly? I live alone and I don't think I can eat 3 lbs of banana in the short lifespan of a bananas... I feel bad wasting it....

You can keep them in the fridge. The peels turn color, but the fruit itself is fine. I always rinse mine after bringing them home as they seem to breed fruit flies. Freezing is good too, easier when peeled.

We buy fewer bananas so we have a chance of eating them before they brown. Any uneaten ones are frozen for banana bread.

ditto on the freezing. however, mine tend to stack up in the freezer. just threw away 8 of em . when i got new fridge. no room for stuff i just think i might use (some day)

Last edited:
Lately I've been leaving mine at the store until I specifically need some :wacko:
I haven't had a banana in the house in probably a month. I noticed that too many were getting tossed to the chickens (without the peel of course). I'll abstain and then when I purchase a small bunch I'll be sure to use them up for the things I like; on cereal, making ice cream or banana bread.
I've found out that if I am buying food that is going bad, then I am buying out of habit. Not a good thing.

Lately I've been leaving mine at the store until I specifically need some :wacko:
I haven't had a banana in the house in probably a month. I noticed that too many were getting tossed to the chickens (without the peel of course). I'll abstain and then when I purchase a small bunch I'll be sure to use them up for the things I like; on cereal, making ice cream or banana bread.
I've found out that if I am buying food that is going bad, then I am buying out of habit. Not a good thing.

whoa a whole month! that is maddness! i love my bananas :) I eat one maybe every other day or so. I try to eat them all or make them into strawberries/banana milkshakes before the go bad... but yeah I was wondering how to prolong.

I seem to have the fruit fly problem when my banana starts to turn brown. When it's yellow I have no fruit flies....

Big answer is to eat them! Hah! Seriously, they freeze well. They are good snacks for kids, go into recipes.

I never buy more than three at a time anymore for all of the reasons stated above.

If you like shakes the frozen ones seem like they would be perfect.

I stopped on the banana bread and cake idea because I was spending $5.00 to save a $0.25 banana. Also they never went bad at my house, unfortunately.:pig:

Store in refrigerator

I put my ripe bananas in the refrigerator during the summer months. Yes the outer skins turn colors but the insides remain fine. Try it. :chef:

Pacanis--why don't you give the banana skin to the chickens? My chickens get all the organic waste from my kitchen, with the exception of bones. (No bones, because the dogs want to dig under the fence for them.) What they don't eat, they turn into nice compost.

I line my 'chicken bucket' with a sheet of newpaper so I don't have to scrub it out--they shred the paper and it is invisible by the next time I carry the bucket out. They also get paper towels and other little bits of paper.

I have 20 chickens, so they do a good job of 'composting' everything.

I never buy more than three at a time anymore for all of the reasons stated above.

If you like shakes the frozen ones seem like they would be perfect.

I stopped on the banana bread and cake idea because I was spending $5.00 to save a $0.25 banana. Also they never went bad at my house, unfortunately.:pig:

Ditto! :chef:

I was paying over 4 dollars for 4 frozen chocolate dipped bananas for DH. I started cutting fresh bananas in half and sticking popsicle sticks from the craft store in them and freezing then dipping in melted chocolate. They keep well in the freezer and make nice semi-healthy snacks. If you want to make them lower in sugar you can buy the artifically sweetened chocolate.

Pacanis--why don't you give the banana skin to the chickens? My chickens get all the organic waste from my kitchen, with the exception of bones. (No bones, because the dogs want to dig under the fence for them.) What they don't eat, they turn into nice compost.

I line my 'chicken bucket' with a sheet of newpaper so I don't have to scrub it out--they shred the paper and it is invisible by the next time I carry the bucket out. They also get paper towels and other little bits of paper.

I have 20 chickens, so they do a good job of 'composting' everything.

I pretty much follow this, Sparrowgrass.
Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds

I don't give the peel for any other reason than it says not to :LOL:

I seldom buy banana's because they seem to have just a one day time span where I will eat them. They need to be at that precise day that they are fit for eating...if they have gone to the next day, and have any of those little spots on them that my mother lovingly called "sugar spots"........they are spoiled in my opinion. Ick.

Those "little" spots simply signify that the banana is ripened and ready to eat. It won't be discolored on the inside.

Major discoloration may have one or two interior discolorations, but those can be easily trimmed off if they bother you. The rest of the flesh is just fine and is generally ready for use in freezing or baking.

Back
Top Bottom