Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fruit & Nuts (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   How do you keep your bananas from going bad? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/how-do-you-keep-your-bananas-from-going-bad-74486.html)

pennywaltz 08-27-2011 08:47 PM

How do you keep your bananas from going bad?

So yeah I love buying the 3 lb $1.25 Banana deals from costcos. they are usually very green when I buy them. But they turn the perfect yellowish color in a day or two.

So how do I preserve these bananas from going bad quickly? I live alone and I don't think I can eat 3 lbs of banana in the short lifespan of a bananas... I feel bad wasting it....

Dawgluver 08-27-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennywaltz
So yeah I love buying the 3 lb $1.25 Banana deals from costcos. they are usually very green when I buy them. But they turn the perfect yellowish color in a day or two.

So how do I preserve these bananas from going bad quickly? I live alone and I don't think I can eat 3 lbs of banana in the short lifespan of a bananas... I feel bad wasting it....

You can keep them in the fridge. The peels turn color, but the fruit itself is fine. I always rinse mine after bringing them home as they seem to breed fruit flies. Freezing is good too, easier when peeled.

Andy M. 08-27-2011 09:13 PM

We buy fewer bananas so we have a chance of eating them before they brown. Any uneaten ones are frozen for banana bread.

babetoo 08-27-2011 09:22 PM

ditto on the freezing. however, mine tend to stack up in the freezer. just threw away 8 of em . when i got new fridge. no room for stuff i just think i might use (some day)

pacanis 08-27-2011 09:35 PM

Lately I've been leaving mine at the store until I specifically need some :wacko:
I haven't had a banana in the house in probably a month. I noticed that too many were getting tossed to the chickens (without the peel of course). I'll abstain and then when I purchase a small bunch I'll be sure to use them up for the things I like; on cereal, making ice cream or banana bread.
I've found out that if I am buying food that is going bad, then I am buying out of habit. Not a good thing.

pennywaltz 08-27-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1042365)
Lately I've been leaving mine at the store until I specifically need some :wacko:
I haven't had a banana in the house in probably a month. I noticed that too many were getting tossed to the chickens (without the peel of course). I'll abstain and then when I purchase a small bunch I'll be sure to use them up for the things I like; on cereal, making ice cream or banana bread.
I've found out that if I am buying food that is going bad, then I am buying out of habit. Not a good thing.

whoa a whole month! that is maddness! i love my bananas :) I eat one maybe every other day or so. I try to eat them all or make them into strawberries/banana milkshakes before the go bad... but yeah I was wondering how to prolong.

I seem to have the fruit fly problem when my banana starts to turn brown. When it's yellow I have no fruit flies....

Claire 08-27-2011 09:55 PM

Big answer is to eat them! Hah! Seriously, they freeze well. They are good snacks for kids, go into recipes.

PrincessFiona60 08-27-2011 11:51 PM

We both eat a banana a day, I buy them 6 at a time.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 08-28-2011 01:39 AM

Learn to make banana bread. Lots and lots of banana bread.

RuthZ 08-28-2011 01:54 AM

Ditto the banana-buying habit... Ditto banana bread and freezing!