Ingredients safe for dogs and cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KissTheCook

Assistant Cook
The title says it all i would like to know most of the meats and veggies that are okay for dogs and cats to chow down:chef:

No raisins, grapes, onions, chocolate or cocoa. Cats don't handle vegan, they need meat.

For kicks, check out the BARF (bones and raw food) diet.

ok wait so cats can have some veggies or are any not good for them i just thought about it

KissTheCook said:
ok wait so cats can have some veggies or are any not good for them i just thought about it

From what I've read, other than grass or catnip, cats are carnivores. So incorporating, say, carrots, spinach, or potatoes into their diet is probably not a good idea. Dogs are more omnivores and can handle some veg.

I'll let the cat folks handle this. My dogs have always loved carrots, apples, and nasty dried peach slices.

Last edited:
Technically... dogs aren't even supposed to have apples. Not if you give them the whole thing, which I used to do. There's cyanide or something in the seeds. Only a very small amount though, so I never worried about it. Broccoli is to be given in moderation, too. Of course, if ya can't toss the dog a trimmed broccoli stem, what can you do? ;^)

pacanis said:
Technically... dogs aren't even supposed to have apples. Not if you give them the whole thing, which I used to do. There's cyanide or something in the seeds. Only a very small amount though, so I never worried about it. Broccoli is to be given in moderation, too. Of course, if ya can't toss the dog a trimmed broccoli stem, what can you do? ;^)

My previous cockapoos LOVED gnawing on a woody broccoli stalk. Better than composting. I heard the same about apple seeds, though my mom's nasty cocker lived to 20+ years with a daily apple core. Beagle loves the inedible dried peach slices.

Last edited:
I haven't heard that. I do know that when I fed a raw diet to my dogs they seemed to have a problem digesting pork as well as they did chicken, turkey or beef. I would say it makes sense, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Note that, for example, fish IN HIGH AMOUNTS is not to be fed. Same for milk products. I never have fed my dogs anything in high amounts, other than dry lamb and rice dog food, which I portion control.

I wouldn't imagine cooked pork would hurt a dog, as long as it isn't a major part of the diet. The article also stated table scraps shouldn't be more than 10% of a dog's diet. Mine, unless they helped themselves, didn't get table scraps. Exceptions being apple cores and broccoli stalks.

I remember the days when my family fed our dogs table scraps, they chewed bones, did not get their teeth cleaned, and I lived in a small town with no leash laws. We had a cocker and an English setter who lived forever.

Last edited:
Table scraps... I come right out and tell people that table scraps are better than a lot of the dog foods out there that are so popular. Like you said, DL, back in the day that's all they got and they did just fine. Of course I wouldn't recommend tossing them a cooked bone like I read yesterday here. Raw yes, cooked no. Cooked bones splinter and tear stomach linings.
That's not to say that some dogs won't do good on anything, but I wish people would wise up to Beneful's marketing ploy. At least Dads and Ol Roy don't claim to be good foods.

I'm glad to see you mentioned dogs, unlike cats, are, after years of evolution, omnivores as humans are. Cats are carnivores. At least that is what the vet I worked for told me.

If all else fails, talk to your vet. S/He will know your particular pet best. But for a healthy pet, Dawgluver has said what I've been told for decades.

I assume we're talking a basically healthy pet. And I've known some dogs that can eat anything and survive (labs are infamous for this). But, really, buy a decent brand of dry dog/cat food, and save human food for very occasional treats. For one thing it will make any accidents much easier to clean. I mean, really, how much vomit and diarrhea do you truly want to clean up in your pets' life-times?

Anyone who's been through what I have with a dog who ate a bunch of chocolates would never dream of letting one chocolate get out from under their hawk-eye. And let's not forget the time I didn't catch my guests feeding my puppy a rum-rummy-rum cake and I had to have her treated for a major hangover.

My SO's son (near 40 YO) had an Alaskan Malamute for 18 years. He fed the dog only human food every day of its life. When I say human food, I'm not talking about table scraps. He cooked a separate meal for the dog every night. If he didn't have time, he'd stop by a restaurant and order it a steak dinner. When he went away, he cooked and froze meals for the dog. Dessert every day was M&Ms. 18 years old when he finally gave up the ghost.

According to some, he did everything wrong. How long do you suppose this dog would have lived if he did all the "right things".

Andy M. said:
My SO's son (near 40 YO) had an Alaskan Malamute for 18 years. He fed the dog only human food every day of its life. When I say human food, I'm not talking about table scraps. He cooked a separate meal for the dog every night. If he didn't have time, he'd stop by a restaurant and order it a steak dinner. When he went away, he cooked and froze meals for the dog. Dessert every day was M&Ms. 18 years old when he finally gave up the ghost.

According to some, he did everything wrong. How long do you suppose this dog would have lived if he did all the "right things".

Would be interested in applying for SO's son's dog's job.

Last edited:
I should have specified ... I was talking about small dogs who live inside the house. It is so much harder to house train a dog who is eating human food as opposed to one that is on a dry food diet. It sure as heck is easier to clean up after when they make a mistake. Human food is their treats, and they get some of it now and then. But mostly I like to not be a servant to my dog. I clean enough toilets as it is.

Like all my dogs Max is fed on a quality dried mix. I give him charcoal biscuits for treats, my wife knows she should not feed him scraps but like last night she did.
Max becomes a rather amazing fartiste :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom