"The Good Wife" | Assume Spoilers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
the good wife. i'm hooked. before that there was homicide life on the street, and before that there was china beach. so you see, i don't get hooked very often. anybody else dying to see what becomes of alicia and will this season now that they finally had a bit of "good timing"? anybody else wishing for alicia and kalinda to find a way to be friends once again? and more episodes with michael j. fox, and on and on....

Last edited:
vitauta said:
the good wife. i'm hooked. before that there was homicide life on the street, and before that there was china beach. so you see, i don't get hooked very often. anybody else dying to see what becomes of alicia and will this season now that they finally had a bit of "good timing"? anybody else wishing for alicia and kalinda to find a way to be friends once again? and more episodes with michael j. fox, and on and on....

Love the Good Wife, Vit!

grrr, i spent two hours working on getting that darn show encoded into our servers for showtime vod last night.

f*&^ing metadata.

grrr, i spent two hours working on getting that darn show encoded into our servers for showtime vod last night.

f*&^ing metadata.

encoding into your servers--does that involve your having direct access to program content in any way? why was the encoding of this particular show so frustrating or problematic? can you dumb it down for us a bit, bt? this is so fascinating....

i'm not sure how you're seeing it, vit.

most entertainment type shows are produced (created/recorded in some way then edited to become an episode) on the west coast. in the past a tape was express shipped to us in ny where it was played back directly on air, or it was "ingested" into another tape or later a computer system so that it could be played back at the appropriate time, and then a delayed play back was done for later time zones. additionally, it was then digitally sent all over the world under a syndication agreement.
btw, most sports and news/current events shows are done in nyc.

more recently, shows are recorded digitally (directly onto a hard drive of sorts), edited, stored in a big hard drive system, then sent digitally via sattelite or a secure internet connection (actually a corporate wan) where our system holds them for playback.

when the shows get here, they're not ready for air. we have to add lots of fcc type technical stuff (captioning, rating, surround sound triggers, tivo crap, broadcaster id, nielsen info, etc) and they have to be quality checked (video and audio) as well as inserting the appropriate local commercials.

then, the shows are finally broadcast for air, local and national commercials inserted, and then delayed play back for later time zones.

the latest thing , the future of television, is vod, or video on demand. it's a little difficult to described but essentially it's a show with all of the extras including some type of commercials, available through a cable/phone/sat type provider to a computer in your home. your cable box now is basically a little computer doing this already.

in 20 years you'll think of how silly it was that you used to have to watch tv shows when they were on air, or else you had to record them.

in your flying car on autopilot... :cool:

lol, at any rate, the good wife episode for showtime that airs today had a bad show segment (fluctuating bitrate causing the encoded to crap out), and tomorrow's hawaii 5-o has bad captioning.

oh, i forgot. yes, i get to watch shows anywhere from a day to a week ahead, whenever they're sent for tech checking.

i love to bet people on who was gonna get eliminated from survivor, the amazing race, or what is on letterman's top ten.

i have no life.

Last edited:
oh wow. your job, the way you're describing it, sounds highly technical to me, side by side with glamorous. before i can get very far following you though, my circuits overload and short out on me...:( i'm going to need to sleep on this and come back to it later.... :)

lol, it ain't glamorous. it's just a job. seeing famous people gets old really fast, and then it's just more hours away from home than you'd like.

where do i sign up for one of them quality tech checking jobs? is there some kind of gag order in place to keep you from spilling the proverbial beans? last season's good wife show was preempted so often by an endless stream of "specials" that i am more than ready for this new technology, this vod, to replace my tvs--bring it! so, bt, what can you tell us about alicia and will's first night together, and the morning after, at work? are we to despise peter or feel sympathetic toward him, with this new turn of events? oh this good wife season is going to be sizzling and derailing straight out of the gate....

Since they moved it from Tues nights following the NCIS shows, I've kind of lost track of it. I really enjoyed it before though.

Ahhhhhhhh The Good Wife is right at the top of my favorite shows!! The characters are so complex that they make for outstanding television. The title of the show is unfortunate because I think it turns people off, as does the wrong title for a great book. I can't think of another title however. Colinda is a particularly fascinating character but I wish she wouldn't mumble as it drives me crazy trying to hear what she said. :huh:

My DVD is all set to go for the new season and I can hardly wait!!

The Good Wife
CSI NY
Law and Order
CSI
Law and Order (SVU)
Criminal Minds
Blue Bloods
Hawaii Five O

Love them all

Last edited:
Since they moved it from Tues nights following the NCIS shows, I've kind of lost track of it. I really enjoyed it before though.

no need to lose track of this show, jabbur. it is already airing on cbs, sunday nights at 10:00 p.m., eastern time. even the reruns they are showing now are well worth watching, at least for me. it's so easy to miss even critical information in this show. i'm picking up on a lot of things second time through....:)

no need to lose track of this show, jabbur. it is already airing on cbs, sunday nights at 10:00 p.m., eastern time. even the reruns they are showing now are well worth watching, at least for me. it's so easy to miss even critical information in this show. i'm picking up on a lot of things second time through....:)

oops, i should have said 9.00 p.m., eastern time, not 10.00. and new shows will begin on september 25, 2011. julianna margulies, guesting on letterman tonight, describes the first episode of good wife as "steamy". you don't want to miss that, now do you....?:)

lol, sorry, i can't give out any details. a few years ago they started a thing where we have to sign documents every few years stating that we'll keep things secret, no conflict of interest type stuff, and so on.

some shows like survivor really protect their secrecy. they black out any feeds through our building and only 1 or two people are allowed to see the semi final before it's aired a few hours later, and then the final is done live.

lol, sorry, i can't give out any details. a few years ago they started a thing where we have to sign documents every few years stating that we'll keep things secret, no conflict of interest type stuff, and so on.

some shows like survivor really protect their secrecy. they black out any feeds through our building and only 1 or two people are allowed to see the semi final before it's aired a few hours later, and then the final is done live.

i know, i know, bt - jk-ing around with that one....must be difficult to enforce those privacy contracts though....

just a reminder, everybody--the good wife is on tonight at 9:00pm et. c'mon, what else do you have to do at nine o'clock anyway? it will be something interesting to talk about tomorrow.... :)

Last edited:
just a reminder, everybody--the good wife is on tonight at 9:00pm et. c'mon, what else do you have to do at nine o'clock anyway? it will be something interesting to talk about tomorrow.... :)

I was thinking of cleaning my ears with knitting needles right about then...:ROFLMAO:

PrincessFiona60 said:
I was thinking of cleaning my ears with knitting needles right about then...:ROFLMAO:

I take that to mean it's not one of your faves, Princess?

:ROFLMAO:

nuts, it finally hit me that tgw has been dumped into that horrible sunday night time slot!!! it's the one that is delayed by sunday football games or other sports for the entire season--beginning with 60 minutes and on through until monday morning!! i hate it, hate it, hate it--you never know what time your sunday night shows will be on, and have to switch back and forth until the green turf, the numbered jerseys, the helmets and packed stadiums disappear from view....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom