No yolk!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DMerry

Senior Cook
Yesterday I cracked an egg to add to a cake that I was making and there was no yolk in the egg, only the white. It was the first time in too many years that I opened an egg and there was no yolk. Does anyone know how and why?

I can't imagine how that could happen but the egg obviously missed the inspectors. Many times I have gotten double yolk eggs. Once I even got a whole dozen of double yolkers, but I have never even heard of an egg without a yolk.

Curiosity got the best of me and I hit google. Check out this interesting page of egg oddities. BTW - according to the page, no yolkers are most commonly produced by immature hens as a first effort - goes to show practice pays of in most ventures ;)

:ohmy: A conspiracy started by all the people who eat egg white scrambles/omelets!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

How funny! Never heard of such a thing. Double yolks (Siamese twins, anyone), bloody yolks, but can't remember even my parents (who grew up as children raising chickens) telling me about yolk-less eggs! All I can say is that cock needs a sperm count!

I have chickens, too, and I have only seen a yolkless egg when the girls are young, and those eggs are usually very tiny--maybe an inch long.

Eggs that haven't been candled or sorted (straight out of the bird) have all kinds of odd shapes, wrinkles in the shell, bits of shell stuck on the outside of the egg, no shell, round eggs or very long pointy eggs. The size varies a lot, too--sometimes an egg will be twice as big as normal, and have 2 yolks.

The yolk is formed first, then 2 layers of white, then the shell. Something happened in this case to cause the whites to form without the yolk--the folks in the egg production facility where I used to work said that a bad thunderstorm would cause a lot of double yolks.

That is so interesting. I have never seen a yolkless egg. I have seen the double yolk. I even got a fertilized egg one time. I did not enjoy that at all.

...I even got a fertilized egg one time. I did not enjoy that at all.

Could you please explain what you mean? How do you identify a fertilized egg? In any case, some people think they are somehow more healthful for us to eat than unfertilized ones.

Back
Top Bottom