Refurbishing a KitchenAid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
3 years ago, I bought my kitchen aid mixer and a whole boatload of attachments for $50 in an estate sale. I think it is the best use of $50 I have ever made. The owner's best guess is that the mixer was about 30 years old. It is running very well but when I change the speeds some of the speeds do not seem to be any different from one of the lower speeds, i.e. 2nd and 3rd sound exactly the same. Is there a way to rebuild this mixer?

Because of the mechanical speed control on KitchenAid mixers, it is not unusual for there to be nearly imperceptible differences between adjacent speeds and does not necessarily indicate the need for a rebuild or repair if the mixer is running well otherwise.

You can download a manual that includes the most common mixers from the 1980’s and 1990’s at The Mending Shed. The manual for 4.5 quart mixers will include instructions for a 5 quart lift bowl.

If your mixer is a K45 or K5-A from the 1970’s, overhaul is complicated a bit because parts are not generally available, but the procedure is generally the same as outlined in the service manual.

Repairing and overhauling a KtichenAid takes some mechanical experience and a couple of specialized tools, but is fairly straightforward. There are also videos on You Tube that will help you find your way.

If you know your model# and serial#, you can often find speed control boards on Ebay pretty cheap. Sometimes you can get away with cleaning the board and contact with alcohol and q-tips.

if you can take off the lid & unattach the speed control board .. give this a go at the contacts

CRC_cleaner.jpg

Back
Top Bottom