Baking powder and/or soda?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
try as i might, i cannot understand the differences between baking soda and baking powder. what i do know is this: baking powder can be subbed for soda, using 2-3 times the amount. b.s., being very salty, adjustments may need to be made in recipes using b.p. instead. b.p. can be made with a combination of b.s. and cream of tartar. solutions that contain b.s.need to be baked right away. questions i still have: why do so many recipes call for BOTH b.s. and b.p.? i don't like the taste of b.s.--can i do without it altogether by using only b.p. for my leavening needs? which types of foods specifically call for b.s., not b.p., preferentially, and why? what kind of flavor differences in general, can be anticipated using baking powder instead of baking soda, and vice versa? i'm preparing to make a batch of patty1's soft chocolate cupcakes. they were put off for a week already waiting for sour cream. now i see the recipe calls for b.s. and i have only b.p..........:chef:???

Last edited:
There is baking soda IN baking powder, but there are other things in there as well. In essence, baking powder has more stuff in it. Baking powder is explosive if tossed on a fire, baking soda will put it out. Baking soda is more active immediately in a recipe than baking powder, one of those quick rise, slow rise deals, that's why some recipes have both in them.

In that particular recipe, you SHOULD be ok just using baking powder as a leavening agent, but keep in mind that your cupcakes just might not be as big as they could be since they won't get the quick rise at the beginning.

There is baking soda IN baking powder, but there are other things in there as well. In essence, baking powder has more stuff in it. Baking powder is explosive if tossed on a fire, baking soda will put it out. Baking soda is more active immediately in a recipe than baking powder, one of those quick rise, slow rise deals, that's why some recipes have both in them.

In that particular recipe, you SHOULD be ok just using baking powder as a leavening agent, but keep in mind that your cupcakes just might not be as big as they could be since they won't get the quick rise at the beginning.

thanxx alixx--while i've got you, lemon lady, i just came across a spice bottle containing dried lemon peel. i didn't buy it myself, but any ideas how to use dried lemon peel, l.l.?:)

Is it candied or just dried?

If its just dried then use it like you would use lemon zest. It will jazz up anything you toss it into. Baking, sauces, salad dressing...mmmmm! Put it inside the cavity of a chicken before roasting.

Baking soda requires an acidic environment to work. If a recipe doesn't have an acidic ingredient (buttermilk or vinegar), baking powder is used. Baking powder = baking soda and cream of tartar (and corn starch). The CoT generates tartaric acid that provides the acidic environment the baking soda needs to generate bubbles.

Also, most recipes call for double acting BP. That's even more complex than regular BP as it contains two leavening agents, baking soda that provides immediate lift when mixed with a liquid and aluminum and calcium compounds which provide more lift when heated in the oven.

A measure of baking powder contains about 25% of the same measure of baking soda.

Baking soda doesn't contain salt, sodium chloride. It does contain sodium in the form of sodium bicarbonate. If you sub 4 times the amount of BP in place of BS, the sodium content will be the same.

Is it candied or just dried?

If its just dried then use it like you would use lemon zest. It will jazz up anything you toss it into. Baking, sauces, salad dressing...mmmmm! Put it inside the cavity of a chicken before roasting.

not candied. i wonder do i need to soak it first....

Did I hear somebody say that if you toss baking powder on a fire it will explode???
Thanks for the info, Alix! :angel:

Baking soda requires an acidic environment to work. If a recipe doesn't have an acidic ingredient (buttermilk or vinegar), baking powder is used. Baking powder = baking soda and cream of tartar (and corn starch). The CoT generates tartaric acid that provides the acidic environment the baking soda needs to generate bubbles.

Also, most recipes call for double acting BP. That's even more complex than regular BP as it contains two leavening agents, baking soda that provides immediate lift when mixed with a liquid and aluminum and calcium compounds which provide more lift when heated in the oven.

A measure of baking powder contains about 25% of the same measure of baking soda.

Baking soda doesn't contain salt, sodium chloride. It does contain sodium in the form of sodium bicarbonate. If you sub 4 times the amount of BP in place of BS, the sodium content will be the same.

sometimes the more i learn the less i know...andy, i have two baking powders available. one is labeled double acting. the recipe calls for one teaspoon baking soda. do i use 4 teaspoons of the regular bp or the double acting bp? does it make a difference in this case? i want my cupcakes to rise sufficiently....

sometimes the more i learn the less i know...andy, i have two baking powders available. one is labeled double acting. the recipe calls for one teaspoon baking soda. do i use 4 teaspoons of the regular bp or the double acting bp? does it make a difference in this case? i want my cupcakes to rise sufficiently....

Regular BS

these cupcakes turned out wonderfully despite all of my starts and stops. they are rich and light and chocolaty. i used double acting baking powder in a 3-1 ratio bp to bs. in my previous post, i mistakenly referred to teaspoons of bs and bp instead of tablespoons. baking time for me ended up being something between 25 and 30 minutes, not 15 minutes as in the original recipe. i'll be making these cupcakes again. next time i will add a frosting. thanks, patty....:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom