Question about crepe..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stacy80

Assistant Cook
anyone know how to make crepe more crispy and crunchy rather than soft?

anyone know how to make crepe more crispy and crunchy rather than soft?
Good morning from North Wales, may I be so bold as to ask you why you would want to?
I do make a deep fried cheese cake that I roll the filling in a crepe, that turns out crispy.:)

because mostly american and french crepe are more soft. i dont really like it. i see in youtube there is more crunchy crepe. im wondering how they do the crepe batter..
i try to search for this crunchy crepe batter recipe but i dont find it..:(

I would imagine, all you would need is to fry it in a little butter. I have made mine from pancake batter that I thinned out and they came out crispy.

I've had problems like this. It's probably more related to technique. What recipe are you using? Does it have a leavening agent like baking powder or soda?

Try adjusting some of the variables.

Batter too thick
Too much batter in pan
Batter not spread evenly
Pan not buttered
Heat too low

I make a lot of crêpes and I've never wanted them to be anything other than what they are. I'm trying to imagine what you would *do* with crispy crêpes because their very nature is to fill and fold and that pillowy goodness of them makes them special. I'm not very creative, so I'd love to hear how you'd use crispy crêpes . I love a new use for an old standby.

To answer your question, I think if you want them to be crispy, it's going to be a 2-step process. I would cook them as usual and then let them cool. Once cooled, brush liberally with butter (if sweet) or oil (if savory) and then pan fry them. With enough fat, they should crisp before they brown excessively.

Honestly, though, you may explore how to make thin savory waffles because they are much more crispy... or at least to use a waffle iron to make these.

ETA: my crêpe batter is 1 c. milk, 1/2 c. flour, pinch of salt, 2 eggs, 1 T. melted butter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom