Having trouble with my bagels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cervantes

Assistant Cook
i`ve been having trouble with my bagles, i let them rest the time the recepie tells me to, but after y cook them in the boiling water and take them out of the pot they become flat and dont get fluffy and nice in the oven, can someone tell me what im doing wrong??, i`m no expert but id like to make the recepie work

i`ve been having trouble with my bagles, i let them rest the time the recepie tells me to, but after y cook them in the boiling water and take them out of the pot they become flat and dont get fluffy and nice in the oven, can someone tell me what im doing wrong??, i`m no expert but id like to make the recepie work

Cervantes, let me be the first to say... What recipe are you using? :chef:

I'd love to make my own bagels and your question seems a valid one, but without a recipe I'm not sure how much valid input you will get.

Post it up.

When I make bagels, I only let the dough rise about 60 minutes. I rest the bagels and slide them into boiling water--I find my wok is the ideal pan for making bagels. Once they float, I flip them, drain them, and then bake them at about 400 (I think--I'd have to double-check my recipe). Mine don't rise in the oven--it sounds as if yours are. What temperature do you bake them at? I often make the dough in my bread machine. It has a bagel setting. I'd like to see your recipe as well.

im using this recepie: 500 grs strog flour, 12 grs salt, 25 grs dry yeast, 300 ml water, 50 ml olive oil, 5 grs sugar. I make my blend of flour by adding 100 grs of wheat germ and different flavor (garlic, herbs, sundried tomatoe, chipotle), i make my dough and let it rest for about 30 min, then i separte the portions (about 6) and make them into little buns, let them rise for another 15 to 20 min and then make the baguel shape and let them rest for 10 min more, then i put them in the boling water and flip them after 1 minute, dry them and bake them

Sorry, I thought your thread read "having trouble with my beagles"....

please tell me your everything bagels are called don quixotes! :)

actually, a lot of new yorkers would prefer dense, chewy bagels, so long as they were tasty and had a decent crust.

puffy bagels are easier to make, therefore more readily available anywhere you go.

im using this recepie: 500 grs strog flour, 12 grs salt, 25 grs dry yeast, 300 ml water, 50 ml olive oil, 5 grs sugar. I make my blend of flour by adding 100 grs of wheat germ and different flavor (garlic, herbs, sundried tomatoe, chipotle), i make my dough and let it rest for about 30 min, then i separte the portions (about 6) and make them into little buns, let them rise for another 15 to 20 min and then make the baguel shape and let them rest for 10 min more, then i put them in the boling water and flip them after 1 minute, dry them and bake them

Cervantes,
I suspect the problem is too much yeast, leading to overproofing. If you are letting the dough first rise for 30 minutes, and after shaping letting them proof for 15 to 20 minutes and 10 minutes more, then yeast should be around 1.5% of the weight of the flour or 7 g (about one package) for 500 g flour. the reicpe you are using has yeast at 5% of the flour - about 3 times normal levels.

Ancho Joe

This is my recipe and it never fails: 2 cups warm water 1 package yeast 1 tablespoon salt tablespoons sugar 1/4 cup natural flavored instant malted milk powder (such as Carnation used to make kid's malted milk drinks) 5 3/4 cups unsifted flour.

I made adjustments: 1 tsp salt 1 tablespoon malt (from natural food store) 6 cups (more or less...1/2 whole wheat flour)

Method for making Bagels: Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, Add the malted milk powder and sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the salt and flour and stir. You want a fairly stiff dough, because the bagels are by nature rather heavy. Turn the dough out on a floured board and knead until smooth, or use a heavy-duty mixer equipped with a dough hook. Place the kneaded dough in an ungreased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough and divide it into 16 pieces. Form the bagels. Drop the bagels into the pot of just-underboiling water and cook them for about 20 seconds on a side. Lift the bagels out of the water with a slotted spoon.
The bagels will look "weird" that is scalded. They will recover.

Place the bagels on a greesed baking sheet. Sprinkle them with onion or garlic topping or poppy seeds or seasame seeds or leave them plain, according to taste. Bake them in a 460 oven for about 20 minutes,until brown.

Ingredients for the Water Bath(in which to scald the bagels before baking)
2 quarts water, held at a temperature just under boiling to which you add
2 tablespoons malted milk powder
1 tablespoon sugar. Good Luck. Regards, Aria

Back
Top Bottom