Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Mutton (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/mutton-75106.html)

giggler 10-01-2011 04:41 PM

Mutton

Does anybody know about this Mutton?

I had some at a strange BBQ joint yesterday and liked it!

But here in TX. where Beef Brisket Rules,... it is hard to find..

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 10-01-2011 05:16 PM

It's sheep meat (that would be adult lamb!). Scots and Brits eat a lot of it. It's normally very tough, but if you cook it low and slow like you would for a Texas barbecue, I guess it would soften up.

powerplantop 10-01-2011 05:20 PM

I ate alot of it in Pakistan in diferent curries.

Timothy 10-01-2011 05:37 PM

I hear ya, Giggler. I went to my butcher and asked for mutton and he said "you mean lamb, right?" and I told him no, I mean Mutton, from an adult sheep, not a lamb.

He said no one had ever asked for it and maybe he could order some for me.

Weird. I'd like to try it, but no one here in Florida has it.

Just lamb. At crazy prices.

merstar 10-01-2011 06:12 PM

The first time I tried mutton was in Paris. I was invited to a great homemade dinner with a family from Morocco. They had a fresh killed sheep (they did it themselves), and they made a traditional couscous dish (mutton was served on the bone, on the side). It was so delicious - very moist and tender! I don't know how they prepared it, but it was sheer perfection.

powerplantop 10-01-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy (Post 1054644)
I hear ya, Giggler. I went to my butcher and asked for mutton and he said "you mean lamb, right?" and I told him no, I mean Mutton, from an adult sheep, not a lamb.

He said no one had ever asked for it and maybe he could order some for me.

Weird. I'd like to try it, but no one here in Florida has it.

Just lamb. At crazy prices.

Timothy do a search for halal meat markets you can get it in Orlando. But you should be able to get it in Jacksonville.

4meandthem 10-01-2011 06:53 PM

check the farm and garden section of Craigslist. They almost always have sheep. You will have to pay for someone to process or split the meat with them.I think i will doing it soon since the supermarket price is so high.

Timothy 10-01-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerplantop (Post 1054664)
Timothy do a search for halal meat markets you can get it in Orlando. But you should be able to get it in Jacksonville.

Thanks, I'll see what that turns up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4meandthem (Post 1054671)
check the farm and garden section of Craigslist. They almost always have sheep. You will have to pay for someone to process or split the meat with them.I think i will doing it soon since the supermarket price is so high.

That's way more mutton than I'm looking for. Great idea though.

Bolas De Fraile 10-02-2011 01:26 AM

Lamb>Hogget>Mutton, true mutton has a very strong flavor and although various chefs try to turn the British public on to it it is still not very popular over here.
Mutton is the one "mature" meat I dont like.:smile:

Claire 10-02-2011 03:06 AM

I asked a sheep breeder around here why the lamb I buy now seems so flavorless. he said it was because they bring lamb to the market much faster and younger than they used to be able to do. I just laughed and said, do you mean I spent my childhood eating mutton? He replied, probably close to. The fact is I like the "gamy" taste of mutton and venison once in awhile. Now it can be so mild that you might as well be eating beef -- don't get me wrong, I love beef -- but when I buy lamb or venison, I don't want something that tastes like beef, only more expensive!