Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Local speech that drives you crazy (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/local-speech-that-drives-you-crazy-75136.html)

purple.alien.giraffe 10-03-2011 08:07 AM

Local speech that drives you crazy

Anyone else find certain local slang, sayings, misused words, mispronunciations, etc. grate on the nerves more than others?

In this area the ones that make me cringe as if boney fingers were tapping on the base of my spine are

"Yous guys"
"Ignorant" used in place of "rude"
Rutabega pronounced as "rutabeggies"

Also, a couple of girls from NJ moved into the area and got everyone saying "cool beans". They claimed everyone from their area said it. I asked them what the heck cool beans was supposed to signify and they explained that "cool" by itself meant neither good nor bad but if you added beans to it then it meant good. O_o Huh? How does that even make sense? At least with some slang I can kinda see how it could develop but I can not fathom how in flying monkey swirly whirls "cool beans" could at all be symbolic of, or a metaphor for, something good. I mean, it makes about as much sense as flying monkey swirly whirls.

Ok, done ranting about cool beans. So what do the locals around you say that drives you flying monkey swirly whirls? (that is so my phrase of the month) ;)

pacanis 10-03-2011 08:52 AM

I haven't heard cool beans in about 15 years. From a girl with big hair come to think of it...

GB 10-03-2011 08:57 AM

I was always told cool beans was a MA thing.

justplainbill 10-03-2011 09:28 AM

Local speech is no more grating than seeing speech spelled 'speach'.:smile:
Quote:

Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe (Post 1055134)
Anyone else find certain local slang, sayings, misused words, mispronunciations, etc. grate on the nerves more than others?

In this area the ones that make me cringe as if boney fingers were tapping on the base of my spine are

"Yous guys"
"Ignorant" used in place of "rude"
Rutabega pronounced as "rutabeggies"

Also, a couple of girls from NJ moved into the area and got everyone saying "cool beans". They claimed everyone from their area said it. I asked them what the heck cool beans was supposed to signify and they explained that "cool" by itself meant neither good nor bad but if you added beans to it then it meant good. O_o Huh? How does that even make sense? At least with some slang I can kinda see how it could develop but I can not fathom how in flying monkey swirly whirls "cool beans" could at all be symbolic of, or a metaphor for, something good. I mean, it makes about as much sense as flying monkey swirly whirls.

Ok, done ranting about cool beans. So what do the locals around you say that drives you flying monkey swirly whirls? (that is so my phrase of the month) ;)

pacanis 10-03-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplainbill (Post 1055154)

:lol:
I wasn't going to say anything... :angel:

Katie H 10-03-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplainbill (Post 1055154)

Then, imagine, a moderator comes along and corrects the spelling.:rolleyes:

pacanis 10-03-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 1055173)
Then, imagine, a moderator comes along and corrects the spelling.:rolleyes:

Cool. DC has an auto correct feature now.

vitauta 10-03-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1055177)
Cool. DC has an auto correct feature now.

cool beans.:smile:

pacanis 10-03-2011 10:46 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh that got me laughing!

vitauta 10-03-2011 10:53 AM

here is a quick, incomplete list of what bugs me daily: "basically", "at the end of the day", "you know what i'm saying", "going forward", and especially "it is what it is".