Juicing with a blender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I know there are a couple of recent threads about juicing but they are all about juicing with a juicer. I have googled and found some pages that say that juicing with a blender can be done. I am interested in this option because a blender is a multi-purpose device and I am not into single function machines - except for my ice cream maker, and that is holy, set aside for the purest of all foods :) Also, I can buy a fairly powerful blender - 1500 watts - for about 1/4 the price of a powerful juicer. I am most interested in juicing hard veggies like carrots, beets..and maybe even potatoes so the extra power might be useful.

The webpages say that it can be done and give many recipes for it but there is no indication about how easy it is or how good the juice is, or what other things might be done besides blending and straining. Does anyone experience using a blender to make juice?

I own a VitaMix which is a high-powered blender. I love it and use to make more than juice and smoothies. I shred meats & cheeses as well as crush red peppers to make my own cayenne powder.

It is a multi-function machine that is strong enough to crush chicken bones and can turn ice cubes into snow. You can check it out at www.vitamix.com.

Last edited:
Thanks! Can you tell me the process you use to make juice? besides just blending the poor little veggies into oblivion? :) My sister has one of these, though I think she has only just it half a dozen time. I think if the blades were replaced with a propeller it would fly! Is it as easy as the website describes? Have you ever owned and used a juicer? If so, how would you compare the 2? One of my concerns about these blenders - as well as some juicers - is that they generate quite a bit of heat which can destroy "some" of the nutrition in veggies and fruits...not sure how much "some" is though

I own a VitaMix which is a high-powered blender. I love it and use to make more than juice and smoothies. I shred meats & cheeses as well as crush red peppers to make my own cayenne powder.

It is a multi-function machine that is strong enough to crush chicken bones and can turn ice cubes into snow. You can check it out at www.vitamix.com.

Last edited:
Because it "juices" everything, the juice will be thicker that what you are used to with a juicer. Some people will add water or a lighter juice like apple juice to thin it out and not dilute the juice. You can use it to make hot soups as well as ice cream. The longer you blend the hotter it will get. Although if you want to make fresh soup, you can use hot water.

Yes, it is as easy as the website says it is to clean it. Just add water and a drop of soap, blend for 30-60 seconds and it is clean.

Yes, I did own a juicer at one time but because I can do sooooo much more with the VitaMix, I got rid of it. When I make ice cream for the kids (milk, sweetner and frozen fruit) I will add some vegetables like baby carrots or fresh spinach. They never know whats in there. If using the spinach I just make sure I use colorful fruit so they can't tell the color change.

Back
Top Bottom