Grilling thick steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

golddust

Assistant Cook
Picked up some really nice round steaks at Sam's Club today (just over an inch thick). I've never grilled steaks this thick before and need help on the best way to cook them so I can get them medium . Will probably marinate them in a Teriaki (sp?) marinade first.

Last edited:
That's about the thickness I always buy also.

I cook mine at about 6 inches from the coals. I use a grilling probe in the meat to tell me when it reaches the proper center temperature.

I use only enough coals to have one layer, where the briquettes are just touching and only directly under the steak, not covering the entire grill.

I leave the grill open.

Turn the steak only once at exactly half the end temp, minus the meat start temp.

Here's an example: If the meat is at 50 degrees already, and you want an end temp of 160, then 160-50 is 110. Half of 110 is 55. Add 55 to 50 and you turn the steak exactly at 105.

Sounds harder than it is. It's actually completely logical and I can vouch for it's accuracy. Mine turn out perfectly every single time. Done the same on both sides, right to the center.

For "Medium" doneness, take the steak off the grill when the center temp is 150F and let it rest for 5 minutes. The center temp will increase while it rests, to 160F.

Last edited:
That's about the thickness I always buy also.

I cook mine at about 6 inches from the coals. I use a grilling probe in the meat to tell me when it reaches the proper center temperature.

I use only enough coals to have one layer, where the briquettes are just touching and only directly under the steak, not covering the entire grill.

I leave the grill open.

Turn the steak only once at exactly half the end temp, minus the meat start temp.

Here's an example: If the meat is at 50 degrees already, and you want an end temp of 160, then 160-50 is 110. Half of 110 is 55. Add 55 to 50 and you turn the steak exactly at 105.

Sounds harder than it is. It's actually completely logical and I can vouch for it's accuracy. Mine turn out perfectly every single time. Done the same on both sides, right to the center.

For "Medium" doneness, take the steak off the grill when the center temp is 150F and let it rest for 5 minutes. The center temp will increase while it rests, to 160F.

Thanks, forgot to mention I'm using a gas grill.

I always grill my steaks as hot as I can. I use the thumb/palm/finger method to tell for doneness. It may not be as accurate as a thermometer but I am not picky about how my steak is done either.

Roadfix is right about bringing to temp first.

I always grill my steaks as hot as I can. I use the thumb/palm/finger method to tell for doneness. It may not be as accurate as a thermometer but I am not picky about how my steak is done either.

Roadfix is right about bringing to temp first.

Right-o

Bring to room temp, season with salt (if you havent marinaded), cook on a hot grill.

Round steak only to medium or it will be very tough

Steakhouse secrets:

Here's another trick for really thick cuts of meat (2" +) IF you like more bark outside but medium rare inside...firm chill in freezer to stiff and bendable but not solid frozen...oil grill with peanut oil...flame on a good sear for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to about 250* for 45 min +/-...check internal temperature...

Another steakhouse trick is to finish a steak with a hot flat top (chef's flat grill) to give the outside a good visual finish...while "marking" with grill marks looks nice, you can't taste grill marks when blindfolded...

Many steakhouse will precook in an oven to rare, then into the reefer box until needed, then cook over a live flame to desired doneness...swabbing with au jus or garlic butter doesn't hurt either...

Last edited:
PORTERHOUSE On Weber Grill with lump charcoal:
1 3/4" - 2" thick medium rare
Total cooking time 21-29 minutes + 10 charcoal light + 20 grill heat(Total 1 hour)
Coarse salt and pepper top (B) side
VENTS: TOP 1/2 & BOTTOM 1/4 - 1/2 OPEN
COVERED indirect heat: (350 - 400F) 26 - 18 minutes
> Side A 10 minutes use fork
> Side B 8 minutes USE TONGS
IF STRAIGHT FROM FRIDGE- 13 - 11 MINUTES EACH SIDE
UNCOVERED and moved to direct heat:
> Side B 1 minutes
> Side A 1 minutes
> Then rotate and flip to char finish

Last edited:
interesting, what some people would consider "a thick" stake". For me thick would be at least 2" and even then it is the preferable size.

I like to do the following for steaks:
Very hot grill
img_1138163_0_547a315cf65590b3daa181e0521aeb79.jpg

Steaks on,
1 1/2 minutes Flip and rotate
1 1/2 minutes check for medium rare.

Looks like this.
img_1138163_1_b49fbefe89908496dfb24759504cbe22.jpg

Good luck

Depending on the cut, I would NOT automatically use a marinade on them if I was grilling - but then again - I am clinically addicted to Montreal Steak Spice.

As for temp, I like to start on high and get any fat edge crispy as well. Then I season them up and move over to med high heat, but I tend to watch them closely.

Steakhouse secrets:

Here's another trick for really thick cuts of meat (2" +) IF you like more bark outside but medium rare inside...firm chill in freezer to stiff and bendable but not solid frozen...oil grill with peanut oil...flame on a good sear for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to about 250* for 45 min +/-...check internal temperature...

Another steakhouse trick is to finish a steak with a hot flat top (chef's flat grill) to give the outside a good visual finish...while "marking" with grill marks looks nice, you can't taste grill marks when blindfolded...

Many steakhouse will precook in an oven to rare, then into the reefer box until needed, then cook over a live flame to desired doneness...swabbing with au jus or garlic butter doesn't hurt either...

Those are very interesting comments. Although we home chefs don't face quite the same problems as steak houses you've given me much to think about.

Personally, I don't care if my steak is raw in the middle as long as it's warm. I'd eat it raw if I was sure it wouldn't make me sick. (Or bite me back, or move while I'm eating.) Except of course I want that singed crust, for taste, burned fats and all.

Last edited:
First off I must say there has been no wrong advice in the thread, all methods would result in a fine result.

For the best and thickest steaks this is my method.

Sear (in pan or grill) very high heat 2 - 2.5 minutes each side.
Bake (standard oven) at 350 degrees for 6-10 minutes, (6 min for 1" cuts, up to 10 minutes for monster sized steaks)

*** Optionally add butter and a mild seasoned salt to the steak and pan before baking.

Enjoy.

First off I must say there has been no wrong advice in the thread, all methods would result in a fine result.

For the best and thickest steaks this is my method.

Sear (in pan or grill) very high heat 2 - 2.5 minutes each side.
Bake (standard oven) at 350 degrees for 6-10 minutes, (6 min for 1" cuts, up to 10 minutes for monster sized steaks)

*** Optionally add butter and a mild seasoned salt to the steak and pan before baking.

Enjoy.

Exactly what I was going to say

The subject is "Grilling thick steaks" not baking thick steaks.:LOL:

Just funin y'all,:) when not grilling but instead cooking steaks in the kitchen I used the same method. Thanks for posting it.

"baking" a steak seems fundamentally wrong. Broiling a steak, ok, while not preferred, it works. Roasting roasts is one thing, but to just throw a steak on a pan, and plop it in the oven. . . well, you killed the cow once, no need to do it again, especially with such indignity.

Back
Top Bottom