Valentine's Day - are you cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
If so, what are you cooking. I'm probably going to cook the same thing I did last year - tradition you know!!!

Tuna Tartare
Horseradish Crusted Porkchops
Potatoes Dauphinoise

Salad with blueberry vinaigrette
Stuffed baby sweet peppers (crumbled basil sausages, Italian sausages, and Cajun sausages mixed with cream cheese, other spices/herbs/seasonings, stuff peppers, and then cook under broiler)

Maybe French Silk Pie for dessert

Last edited:
Ooooh; That sounds very tasty. I have to ask for the recipe for blueberry vinaigerette. I love the raspberry version and would love to try the blueberry as well. Those are my all time favorite berries.

I'm going to slowly barbecue 12 country style pork ribs, all chosen with just the right amount of bone and meat so that I can make a crossed rib presentation. They will be marinated in a savory marinade of brine, sage, thyme, onion, garlic, and maybe a touch of orange rind. I can't add pepper as my wife is a supertaster and can't handle the heat of any kind of pepper (heavy sigh). This will be served with freshly steamed green beans and compound butter, with sweet potatoes, brown rice with mushrooms, and a leafy green salad. Finish with cherry pie..

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed - your meal sounds great too - To make the vinegar I just heat up and bring to a boil about 6 cups of apple cider vinegar - you can also use a white vinegar - 2 pounds of fresh blueberries pureed in food processor. Put heated vinegar and about 1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar or white sugar (I like brown) in a jar - stir to melt sugar, add blueberries. Fit with lid or cover with plastic and rubber band for 3 weeks - strain twice through cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Usually stuff like this has to be used within a year. Put in

OR
2 cups canned blueberries with 1 1/2 cups of the blueberry juice or. But to this amount of canned berries and juice add about 8 cups of vinegar (it doesn't have to be heated). Store in a cool, dark place for about a week.

This makes a great vinaigrette (light olive oil, Dijon, s & p OR even made with the Good Seasons Italian packet) - mixed baby greens, a mix of chopped walnuts, diced granny smith apples, spring onion rounds, and diced fennel with some springs of fennel leaves (mixed with some of the vinaigrette (you can also use a walnut oil in this recipe). Top salad with this mixture and add some blue cheese chunks or chunks of English Stilton. OR you can top the baby greens with pears and blue cheese.

I hope all that wasn't too confusing.

Forgot to say I like adding a handful of blueberries to the pear and blue cheese salad too.

Thanks KitchenElf. I've copied your recipe to my hardrive.

And Tweedee; That meatloaf would fill the bill as well, especially with a bit of ketchup on top. Then it could be a bleeding heart, heh, heh. ;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

And don't forget tweedee when you go to serve it stick an arrow through it :roll: - (good one Goodweed)

heck no i'm not cooking. i'll be working until 8 and right when i get home i have to get my son to bed. bf works till 2 a.m. so if i do have anything it'll be soup or salad.

I'll be cooking but, I don't think any thing fancy.
We're celebrating a day late out at a French restarunt. I'll
let them do the fancy this year. :D

middie said:
heck no i'm not cooking. i'll be working until 8 and right when i get home i have to get my son to bed. bf works till 2 a.m. so if i do have anything it'll be soup or salad.

Im sending you a box of chocolates and some roses then :) Im not doing anything special , just dinner for the three of us. I wanted to buy some lobsters but they are $10 lb for soft shell, no thanks. I love how the stores rip us off for a holiday. Maybe we'll do something special the following weekend.

awww amber you're so sweet. thank you :D :D :D
personally i think stores rip us off everyday of the year.
but you're right they do big time on holidays as far as
seafood goes. we'll probably wait till next weekend to
go out too.

we're going out for dinner at Ruth'sChris. Dessert is a nice dry red at home.
i found a pretty white cake on the table when i got up, so i think i'm gonna cut some slices from that and decorate w/ some fresh strawberries. i need to get an outfit and maybe some new boots for dinner tomorrow, so i think i'll look around for some silver food grade powder to dust around the edges of the plate while i'm out. i think i'll use clear dinner plates rather than little dessert plates. or white. maybe i'll gety some white plates.

SO works out of town so had our special dinner last night. Venison steak smothered in mushrooms, baked potatoes, Butterfly shrimp and rhubarb sustard pie.

It's actually supposed to be warm (in the 40s) so I'm hoping to grill a big porterhouse and two (now frozen) lobster tails.

DH works late so we're going to have our dinner next weekend, when I can take my time making it and we can both enjoy it more. I'm having steak and chipotle lime shrimp, rice with tomatoes and black beans, salad, and either chocolate souffle or chocolate pots de creme.

Tonight is a simple lemon rosemary chicken in the crock pot.

OK, hubby just called a little while ago & wants chicken & rice stew. So, I guess that's what we're having. It'll be good since it's cold & raining today. I think I'm going to make some cream puffs & fill them with a vanilla or chocolate custard for dessert.

masteraznchefjr said:
no one to cook for :( last year was memorable though

Likewise it's my first solo valentines day in a WHILE (even the roomies are out) so Im making a specialty of mine that will help me forget my romantic woes and get some fire back into my heart... CHIPOTLE MEATBALLS. This, with lot's of potatoes, some soft boiled eggs and so on served over rice. Well, gonna get started on the prep right now!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom