Overwinter Rosemary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Every year, I dig up and bring in my rosemary, as it's not hardy to this area. Every year it dies a painful indoor death. Every year I buy and plant another rosemary.

This year, my rosemary is very robust and fragrant. I plan to leave it in its large outdoor planter and cover it with a styrofoam rose cone. Will this work?

Zone 5. Thought I would experiment, since death for my rosemary is inevitable when I bring it in anyway. I usually have really good luck with both inside and outside plants, just not rosemary.

The soil in the planter is likely to get colder than the ground. We've had luck overwintering rosemary inground in a double glazed coldframe with a thermostat controlled vent and half a dozen gallon jugs of water for a heat sink.

justplainbill said:
The soil in the planter is likely to get colder than the ground. We've had luck overwintering rosemary inground in a double glazed coldframe with a thermostat controlled vent and half a dozen gallon jugs of water for a heat sink.

You're right, Bill. Hmm. I think I might have a home made cold frame that might fit over the whole planter, which also has thyme and parsley. Your setup sounds great, but what a lot of work!

Dawglover--I bring my rosemary in every winter. It does wonderfully in the house--it even flowers. However, herbs don't like heat--so I keep it in a room where it is about 66 degrees. I mist it every day and water it as required. I think the misting is the secret--otherwise the herbs dry out. You have to stay on top of the misting. Why not divide the plant and bring 1/2 in and try leaving 1/2 out?

CWS4322 said:
Dawglover--I bring my rosemary in every winter. It does wonderfully in the house--it even flowers. However, herbs don't like heat--so I keep it in a room where it is about 66 degrees. I mist it every day and water it as required. I think the misting is the secret--otherwise the herbs dry out. You have to stay on top of the misting. Why not divide the plant and bring 1/2 in and try leaving 1/2 out?

I will try the misting, CWS. Our house stays very cool, though the indoor planter box is over a register. That might be the problem.

Wow, great advice, guys! Thanks!

Last edited:
justplainbill said:
We have a variety of creeping thyme that winters over nicely. We purchased the seed online from Richter's in Canada

My creeping thyme does well, even with no cover. Love that stuff, it gets a pretty pink flower. I think I will see how the regular thyme does in the planter, and bring the rosemary in, again, with misting.

Dawglover, I think you answered your question as to why the rosemary dies--the heat register. I do keep mine where it can get plenty of light, but not lots of variation in heat. Which reminds me, I haven't misted the herbs today!

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
Dawglover, I think you answered your question as to why the rosemary dies--the heat register. I do keep mine where it can get plenty of light, but not lots of variation in heat. Which reminds me, I haven't misted the herbs today!

Thanks, CW! When I used to keep hundreds of houseplants, I was a daily mister. I cut way back, and now just have a few orchids along with the bigger plants that I bring in from outside.

Okay. The rosemary is now in a pot and soaking in the sink. I have named her CWS.

Back
Top Bottom