It's Chili Cook-off Time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Anybody in the Sault Ste. Marie, MI area on Nov. 14th can taste my entries in the 2011 United Way Chili Cookoff, held at Lake Superior State university.

Yup. I'm participating again. This year, my sponsor is The Boy Scouts of America. I'm pushing to get some scouts to come into the kitchen and learn to make chili. There has to be a merit badge for chili, or at least for cooking.

I'll be making a hot red and a white chili this year, 3 gallons of each. My white has won it's category, but I've yet to win with my red. I'm going to make it hot, but not blistering so, as I have in past years. I mean, I don't want to damage any boy scouts.:LOL:

I've got a bunch of good peppers from my garden this year, and will be using them in the red. I'll have to try and find yellow peppers. In any case, just as in years past, it will be a lot of fun. I'm changing kitchens this year and will have access to a flame grill. That will help. I'll be cooking up a mess of chili on Nov. 13th, and serving it up on the 14th. I'll get pictures and post them after all is done.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Oh I wish I could have gone! I love chili, making some today in fact.
How did it go?....I'm in Perth, not toooooo far from the Soo. Did you have fun? Win anything? Got pics?

How did it go?....I'm in Perth, not toooooo far from the Soo. Did you have fun? Win anything? Got pics?

Had a blast. Cooked my prize-winning white chili with the help of an Eagle Scout. He did the chopping, seasoning, and cooking. I gave him the recipe and provided tutoring. He loved the results of his effort.

While making my "hot" red chili, I accedently poured too much chili powder into the pot. It was coming out of the bottle very nicely, in a controlled manner. Then all of a sudden, like an avalanche, all of the chili powder (18 oz.) fell into the three gallons of chili. It was a bit strong. I thinned it, and everyone who ate it gave me kudos. But I knew that it wasn't a prize winner.

The Eagle Scout who made the white chili just beamed as people told him how good it was. He kept telling everyone - "I made that chili."

It was a lot of fun watching him burst with pride over "his" chili. Hopefully, he learned something about cooking from the process. And he's excited about trying again next year.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was in Perth in 1984. I purchased an opal for my wife while there. I got it, cut and polished, for the sum of $15 American. It's a beautiful, solid stone that I had put into a ring. I won't tell you its appraised value as it seems rediculous compared to the price I paid for it. Let's just say that I purchased it for 1.8 percent of its estimated value.

More importantly, I made freinds with a local group from our church. They showed me the beautiful rolling hills of the countryside around Perth, let me sleep in thier homes, and took me to the best shops.

I was stationed aboard the U.S. Kittyhawk at the tie. We provided an air-show for the local government. Perth was a good time, with high quality people. Every time I hear the city name, it brings back fond memories.

wtg helping out the scouts, chief.

even old timers like us still learn the basics like mise en place every now and then. no pouring from large containers. i've ruined a few sauces doing that.

only recently i started cracking eggs into a seperate, dark coloured bowl before cooking (with) it. much easier to pick out stray shell buts.

if you don't mind, i may steal that idea (a chili contest) someday when my boy and his troop are old enough.

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
I was in Perth in 1984. I purchased an opal for my wife while there. I got it, cut and polished, for the sum of $15 American. It's a beautiful, solid stone that I had put into a ring. I won't tell you its appraised value as it seems rediculous compared to the price I paid for it. Let's just say that I purchased it for 1.8 percent of its estimated value.

More importantly, I made freinds with a local group from our church. They showed me the beautiful rolling hills of the countryside around Perth, let me sleep in thier homes, and took me to the best shops.

I was stationed aboard the U.S. Kittyhawk at the tie. We provided an air-show for the local government. Perth was a good time, with high quality people. Every time I hear the city name, it brings back fond memories.

Chief, when were you onboard the Kittyhawk? A friend of mine was aboard maybe 1970 '71 there about.

Chief, when were you onboard the Kittyhawk? A friend of mine was aboard maybe 1970 '71 there about.

I was on the Ranger in 79. I was on the KittyHawk in 84, the year the Detroit Tigers one their first 30 games, and went on to win the world series. And since I was home-ported in San Diego, CA, and they were playing the San Diego Padre's, I was probably the only tiger fan in town. If I'd have been a betting man, I would have made a killing.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom