German Stollen Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would help if you'd post your recipe (or source for the recipe). I have made Stollen, not for a long time, but I have (someplace in my files) a TNT Stollen recipe.

CWA4322:

Here it my recipe for German Stollen Bread: Please help

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 2/3 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1/3 cup currants
  • 1/3 cup sultana raisins
  • 1/3 cup red candied cherries, quartered
  • 2/3 cup diced candied citron
Directions

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, white sugar, salt, butter, and 2 cups bread flour; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has begun to pull together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead in the currants, raisins, dried cherries, and citrus peel. Continue kneading until smooth, about 8 minutes.
  3. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. DID NOT RISE 10-15-11
  4. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough over to cover it; pinch the seams together to seal. Place the loaf, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow loaf to cool on a wire rack.
Please notice my note on #3 I notated that it did not rise. Thanks for any assistance.

I would say there is a strong probability that the milk was too hot. It is also possible that the yeast was bad.

Have you used the yeast to make other breads? Did you use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the milk?

I did use a thermometer, at first the milk was 120 degrees, so I put it out side and thought I cooled it down enough, would it taint the milk if I originally made it to hot then cooled it down? I just used the yeast last week for "regular" bread so I don't think that was an issue. Although, now that I am reading your post, something did no seem right when I added the yeast, no bubbling went on? It did not seam to dissolve correctly? What do you think?

Congrats Forty Caliber on a Ranger victory for our Tigers. Hope your team goes all the way and takes the World Series.

PP I heat the milk and stick my finger in it to test the temp, it should be just hot enough to leave said finger in liquid. I then put a tsp of sugar in, then the yeast mix and leave till it gets a good frothy head. I then sift the flour and salt into a bowl make a well and pour the yeast liquid in the add the beaten eggs and soft butter, mix together then add the dried fruit ect and knead. I put home made pistachio M/pan in the middle of mine.:)

I think you got your answer. It sounds as if the milk was too warm and killed the yeast. You should always get the bubbly-foamy reaction when setting up your yeast.

PP I heat the milk and stick my finger in it to test the temp, it should be just hot enough to leave said finger in liquid. I then put a tsp of sugar in, then the yeast mix and leave till it gets a good frothy head. I then sift the flour and salt into a bowl make a well and pour the yeast liquid in the add the beaten eggs and soft butter, mix together then add the dried fruit ect and knead. I put home made pistachio M/pan in the middle of mine.:)

Bolas, thank you for this process, I will try again, I believe I have a good recipe, just a bad cook. The "original" recipe called for marzipan in the middle, I never had any with that in the middle, so I left it out. It sounds good, will add it this time.

Also Bolas, the recipe calls for kneading for 8 minutes, is this length of time necessary.

Bolas--my grandmother taught me that trick--but she'd go so far as to put a few drops on the inside of her wrist as if checking the temperature for a baby's bottle.

Also Bolas, the recipe calls for kneading for 8 minutes, is this length of time necessary.
The prob you have asking me that question is I have been baking breads for a long long time and the touch and look of the dough tells me when to stop. I taught bread making at a night school yrs ago and tried to instil in my victims that most people have failures at the start. PP your confidence will grow.

Cws the funny thing is my Mum was a great cook who could not make bread.Blood temp is 98.6 f and milk at that temp will work fine as your gran knew, it may take longer but increasing the heat for speed could be a dangerous mistake.
I agree with accurate weights and measures ect in patisserie, bread making is made out to be to complex in my book.:)

The prob you have asking me that question is I have been baking breads for a long long time and the touch and look of the dough tells me when to stop. I taught bread making at a night school yrs ago and tried to instil in my victims that most people have failures at the start. PP your confidence will grow.

Cws the funny thing is my Mum was a great cook who could not make bread.Blood temp is 98.6 f and milk at that temp will work fine as your gran knew, it may take longer but increasing the heat for speed could be a dangerous mistake.
I agree with accurate weights and measures ect in patisserie, bread making is made out to be to complex in my book.:)

I wish I could find a bread making class, no one seams to be interested in cooking or baking anymore. I wish you lived in the US or at least vacationed here long enough for a class or two. Bread I have discovered is tricky.:huh:

Although, now that I am reading your post, something did no seem right when I added the yeast, no bubbling went on? It did not seam to dissolve correctly? What do you think?

If the yeast doesn't bubble, the bread isn't going to rise. Simple as that.

As for how long you need to knead any bread, a very recognizable rule of thumb is when you're finished kneading, your dough should be supple and soft at the same time, like a baby's bottom. :chef: Eight minutes is definitely not an unreasonable length of time to expect to knead the dough, and if you're using other than white flour, quite a bit longer than eight minutes will be required.

Try adding brandied raisins and currants in stollen, it's delicious! To brandy them yourself:
Boil hot water, pour enough just to cover the raisins, cranberries, etc.
Let cool, then add in brandy, however much you like.
Store in a glass jar (I keep mine in the fridge).
When ready to use, drain out the liquid but keep the fruits plump and moist.
It's best made an year in advance, but if you do it today, it'll still taste pretty good by Christmas. I learned this from an British friend who makes fruitcakes, and I used her trick to make the best stollen I've ever tasted.

Brandied raisins and currants sound wonderful, guess what I am going to get at the store tomorrow. I have raisins but no currants. Thanks for the tip. I will make a good stollen bread if it kills me. Also, can you share your Christmas fruit cake recipe, my husband loves it and I have made it a couple of times and it is ok. He had some from a friends mom when he was younger and said it was wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Try adding brandied raisins and currants in stollen, it's delicious! To brandy them yourself:
Boil hot water, pour enough just to cover the raisins, cranberries, etc.
Let cool, then add in brandy, however much you like.
Store in a glass jar (I keep mine in the fridge).
When ready to use, drain out the liquid but keep the fruits plump and moist.
It's best made an year in advance, but if you do it today, it'll still taste pretty good by Christmas. I learned this from an British friend who makes fruitcakes, and I used her trick to make the best stollen I've ever tasted.
I'd be tempted to drink the brandy or throw it in with a pork roast...

Back
Top Bottom