The Sunday Dinner Thread, Oct 16th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
What's cooking for dinner tonight folks?

My dinner today has been figured out well ahead again, but I was holding out and continuing my research up until a few days ago. PPPC week 6 has my Browns in Oakland, CA. I have been scratching my head on these dinner plans for a while, because apparently Oakland isn't known for any food :LOL:
Seriously, all I've been able to come up with is folks in Oakland eating "CA cuisine", which could be Mexican influenced or could be fruit on a pizza :wacko:

So Tacos Carne Asada it is!

What will you be sitting down at the table to eat tonight?

Split pea and ham soup with red cabbage slaw. I used Bucky Tom's rosemary idea for the soup, lovely!

Rib eye steak, Steakhouse potatoes, steamed carrot coins, and I think I'll open a bottle of 2009 Valentin Bianchi Sensual Malbec to go with the oversized (7oz) rib eyes. I'm going to try this new method I saw on a cooking show where you run a skewer through the spinalis dorsi muscle to secure it to the rest of the steak, which eliminates the separation of the spinalis muscle from the fat of the main piece of meat.

I'll be making a version of the prosciutto wrapped pork loin with roasted apples from the Oct '11 bon appetit for dinner. I say a version because I'm not going to stuff the loin. Roasted, sliced potatoes to go with. Veg, tbd, but maybe sauteed carrots as they sound really good today.

Today is a cooking day.

I made a large pot of rice with the chicken stock I made yesterday.

I'm jazzing up my recent chili with more canned beef and extra V-8. With some of the rice, this will be lunch.

I had to heat the beef to get the juices and fat off and mixed in the juice and fat from the last can. This will go in the freezer for some future use, as will the rest of the beef not added to the chili.

Then, I'll make meatloaf and serve it with rice and gravy made from some of the beef juices for dinner.

Last edited:
Sunday Dinner

My family is a mix of Northern and Southern Italy. Every Sunday our families homes were filled with the aroma of awesome Pasta sauce cooking all day, getting chased away from Mom or Grandma's stove when trying to sneak and dip some bread in the sauce while waiting, lol We called it sauce bread and we loved it when they let us have some to hold us over until dinner. :)

Today, I'm in too much pain to cook (severe psoriatic arthritis) so we're getting take out. Gnocchi with a meat sauce because I could not decide between marinara or tomato, lol

Which reminds me, wanted to comment on the tomato vs Marinara sauce debate and questions I saw on here. Marinara is a simple sauce (usually toms. garlic, basil, oreg., olive oil) cooked for a short time. It's a clean simple, thinner sauce. Tomato or pasta sauce as some of us call it is a long simmer sauce, usually thicker and richer than marinara because of the slow cooking on low heat but both use tomatoes and the same spices. Sometimes with loose meat or meatballs, sausage etc but basically the spices are the same though recipes vary from home to home, cook to cook. Some people think it has more spices it really shouldn't, its just richer tasting and thicker because of the long simmer. When its done right, that is. :chef:

Baked CHICKEN BREAST coated lightly in olive oil and lots of black pepper.
ORZO drizzled with olive oil (just enough so it doesn't stick together), chives, black pepper and a pinch of salt.
BRUSSELS SPROUTS lightly buttered.
View attachment 12235

Last edited:
Another PPPC comes to an end and week six brought us tacos carne asada... a food Oakland may or may not be noted for :rolleyes:

PPPC wk 6 oakland carne asada tacos.jpg

I'm really looking forward to when the Browns play Seattle next week. :)

babetoo said:
just had some soup, sore throat and coughing. i think a visit to dr. is in my future.

So sorry, Babe. You had sounded like you felt better lately.

Hope you get well soon!

Nice dinners, guys!

We ended up being really bad. Two orders of onion rings, two Peanut Buster Parfaits, and a shared pork tenderloin sammich from DQ. And an ice cream cup for the beagle.

We had Parmesan baked catfish, with potato salad and a tossed salad

A casserole the roomies made using bear meat. It was really good. I was surprised by the flavor of the bear. It wasn't gamey like venison, just a really strong meaty flavor. It had wide egg noodles, tomatoe sauce, cream of mushroom soup, green beans and black pepper. Then it was topped with mozzarella and baked. I'm a fan for sure.

pacanis said:
Another PPPC comes to an end and week six brought us tacos carne asada... a food Oakland may or may not be noted for :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to when the Browns play Seattle next week. :)

Looks yummy Pac! So whatcha having next week? I hope it's Salmon or clam chowder or Dungeness crab and probably should follow it up with apple something and a coffee drink! Lol!

Due to my all day headache, we will be revisiting the Jambalaya from last night. DH has made a salad to go with it.

Somebunny said:
Looks yummy Pac! So whatcha having next week? I hope it's Salmon or clam chowder or Dungeness crab and probably should follow it up with apple something and a coffee drink! Lol!

Due to my all day headache, we will be revisiting the Jambalaya from last night. DH has made a salad to go with it.

Hope you're feeling better, SB!

I too am curious about your choice for next week, Pac! Many eons ago, when I was in Seattle, I remember the incredible variety of fresh seafood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom