ISO help/advice using a slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julies1985

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

This is my first post :)!

I have just bought a slow cooker, I have been desperate to try it out. Tried out a pot roast twice and have been really disappointed by the result - the meat was quite tough and the gravy watery.

I have been told that slow cookers make the meat nice and tender....I know I must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone give me any advice and recipes?

So disappointed by the results :(

Thanks

could you tell us , what cut of meat, how long and on what setting did you cook it? i use mine a lot even if it is only for me. just made french onion soup in mine. with more info. we can help you, better.

Did you sear (brown) it first? Or add any type of tenderizer? That usually will keep it tender. To have a thicker sauce or gravy you'd have to add flour or some type of thickiner... You can add the flour and water to the particles left in the skillet after searing it. Then add it to the pot.

I put carrots, a few chopped up potatoes and onions in the bottom of the bowl. Then I chopped the brisket up into smaller chunks and put it on top. For moisture I used 500ml of beef stock.

Turned the slow cooker onto low and let it cook for 9hrs.

Julie

Welcome to DC, Julie! There are some great recipes in the slow cooker section here.

I use a top round, bottom round, whatever is on sale, cut in big chunks, throw in some cream of something soup, a can of Rotel, maybe some dry onion soup mix, whatever veggies like carrots, onions, mushrooms and celery on the bottom, and slow cook away. It always falls apart, nice and tender.

There was some recent discussion on a similar problem here. I think the upshot was to not overcook, and maybe use some acidic ingredient like tomato product or vinegar. You don't need a lot.

To brown or not to brown is a personal preference, I don't brown, but it might give the meat a deeper flavor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom