ISO help/tips baking cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

et81121

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if you could help me. I'm trying to bake cookies but for some reason the cookie ends up in a 'mountain' shape where the edge is really thin...!? how do I fix this so that the cookie looks circular and flat?

Many thanks,

Tom

What kind of cookie are you baking? If you're using an ice cream scoop to portion out the cookies, it helps to flatten the cookies before baking.

This is the formula I find most helpful when I'm designing a new or changing and old recipe:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]About cookie making[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Using the correct ingredients is key. Follow the recipe closely and measure ingredients carefully for best results.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Fats [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cookies are made primarily with butter, margarine or shortening. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Fats play a major role in the spread of a cookie-[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]-whether a cookie keeps its shape or flattens in the oven. Shortening and margarine are stable, and will help cookies keep their original unbaked shapes. Butter melts at a much lower temperature than other solid fats--it melts at body temperature, resulting in a “melt-in-your-mouth” burst of flavor. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cookies made with butter tend to spread out[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. Butter is essential in certain cookies, such as shortbreads; if they don’t hold their shape, consider lowering the amount of butter, sugar, or baking soda in the recipe. The amount of fat also affects the cookies: in general, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]more fat equals flat, crispy cookies[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] while less fat equals puffier, cake-like cookies. Whipped spreads are not suitable for baking: use solid sticks of margarine instead.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Flour[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] also affects how cookies behave. Most cookie recipes call for all-purpose or pastry flour. Both bread flour, with its high protein content, and cake flour, which is high in starch, produce cookies that tend to spread less. (The gluten in the bread flour and the absorbant starch in cake flour are responsible for the similar results.) Higher flour-to-liquid ratios are needed in shortbread and crumbly-textured cookies.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Baking Powder and Baking Soda[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] are the two most common leaveners in cookies. Baking soda is simply bicarbonate of soda, while baking powder is a combination of bicarbonate of soda plus cream of tartar, an acidic ingredient. Baking soda neutralizes the acidity of the dough, allowing the cookies to brown in the oven. Since baking powder already contains its own acid, it will not reduce the acidity in the dough, and the resulting cookies will be puffier and lighter in color.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sugars:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Like fats, sugars liquefy in the oven. The type and amount of sugar used play a big role in cookie performance. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]White sugar makes a crisper cookie than brown sugar or honey.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Cookies made from brown sugar will absorb moisture after baking, helping to ensure that they stay chewy. Most chocolate chip cookie recipes contain both brown and white sugars. If you lower the amount of sugar called for in a cookie recipe, the final baked cookie will be puffier than its high-sugar counterpart.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Eggs and Liquids: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Eggs[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] are a binding agent. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Liquids[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] can either cause cookies to puff up or spread. If egg is the liquid, it will create a puffy, cake-like texture. Just a tablespoon or two of water or other liquid will help your cookies spread into flatter and crisper rounds. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Egg yolks bind the dough and add richness but allow a crisp texture after baking,[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] whereas egg whites tend to make cookies dry and cakey. To make up for the drying effect of the egg whites, extra sugar is often added. This is why cookies made with just egg whites tend to be so sweet--think of macaroons.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom