What's your favorite way to make mayo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay, since we have so many FRESH eggs, we have decided homemade mayo is the way to go. I like to use olive oil, lemon, a smidge of dry mustard and a wand to make it. What's your favorite oil to use, technique, for making homemade mayo (Miracle Whip lovers need not chime in:).

I use the blender method, canola oil, lemon juice or vinegar, Guldens mustard, S&P.

I still use the Hellmann's most of the time because the fresh made mayo does not keep for very long. The fresh is much better tasting though and can be changed up in so many ways depending on the ingredients and herbs you have to work with.

I've tried the blender method and it didn't work so well. I think the heat of the motor and the blade spinning cause issues for me. I think using a hand mixer is the safer approach. Personally I just whisk it by hand. For all the hate I give mayonnaise, it deserves to kick my rear end once in a while to even things out.

I have never attempted to freeze it but, my initial thought is that it would be a bad idea.

It only takes a few minutes to make up a batch fresh. I usually make it a day ahead because it thickens as it sits in the refrigerator and becomes more like the bottled kind.

I do not use the fresh mayo for picnics or for gatherings where the food may sit out for awhile. I really don't trust it but, that is just me. Actually the main reason I make it is to keep the commercial stuff out of the house when I am trying to diet, which is most of the time. I use much less if I have to make it. It is also quite a bit cheaper than good commercial mayonnaise.

We use a lot of mayo--and, since we have FRESH eggs, one of the ways to use up the eggs is to make mayo...besides which, I LOVE homemade mayo. How long does the fresh keep?

We use a lot of mayo--and, since we have FRESH eggs, one of the ways to use up the eggs is to make mayo...besides which, I LOVE homemade mayo. How long does the fresh keep?

I've been told ten days to two weeks but, I use it or pitch it in three days.

I don't make mayo often as some as I'm quite happy with Hellmann's in most cases. However, when I do, I use the blender method and STORE-BOUGHT eggs.

Funny how you can't type fresh without capping it :huh:
Yes you have chickens and yes they lay eggs. I hope I wasn't this bad when my hens started laying :wacko:

Funny how you can't type fresh without capping it :huh:
Yes you have chickens and yes they lay eggs. I hope I wasn't this bad when my hens started laying :wacko:
Okay, no more chicken stories, no more FRESH eggs...but they are so FUN!

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
Okay, no more chicken stories, no more FRESH eggs...but they are so FUN!

CWS, Pac, anyone else with chicken stories, I for one want you to keep 'em coming!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Last edited:
I used to hand whisk my mayonnaise, but lately arthritis is making that type of thing more difficult and painful. I have an Immersion Blender that I love.

My Internet search indicates 1 yolk:1/2 - 1 c oil, lemon juice. The jury seems to be out on the best oil--some indicate EVOO overpowers the delicacy of the egg and to use 1/2 olive oil (not EVOO) and 1/2 grapeseed or canola oil. So now I'm debating the best oil to use, and whether to use just the yolk or the whole egg (I've done both). Do you prefer one oil over another or a blend? What's your preferred ratio of yolk:eek:il? About freezing mayo, it does separate but supposedly you can whisk/blend it back together again.

Why make it? Because we have the eggs and believe in being as self-sufficient as possible. When we were buying eggs, it didn't make sense to make mayo given the amount we use around here and the fact we were using the eggs for other things. MW, on the other hand, there's been a jar purchased by mistake in the cupboard (unopened) since the fall of 2008...probably should toss it, it is probably past its expiry date.

Last edited:
Never tried fresh eggs; I'm assuming there's a noticeable difference?
I love truffle aioli; I use truffle oil, truffle salt, lemon juice, yolks and food processor. Did it with the immersion blender before, but my hands got too tired (large batch)!

Is there a difference between fresh eggs and store-bought eggs? It depends on what you feed your chickens, how healthy they are, and how you keep them. For example, birds that are full of parasites will have WORMY eggs (mine don't--that would gross me out!).

We add flax seed to their diet--they also get the shells from the eggs (calcium) and free-range the chickens in addition to giving them grain. They love stale bread and yogurt/sour milk. The yolks are a richer color. The whites are not rubbery (I don't have any store-bought eggs with with to do a cooking test, but it seems to me it takes less time to fry a fresh egg than a store-bought one and the whites are not rubbery). Fresh eggs don't peel as easily--there are tricks to peeling fresh eggs. When you hard boil a fresh egg, the air pocket is much smaller than most store-bought eggs. My chickens are happy chickens--they get outside, they get to forage, they are not kept in small boxes...they also were scared today when a hawk showed up. I was scared too, but when the "sentry" hen called out the alarm, the rooster and other "top" hen joined in and chased everyone into the barn and spots of cover before they also went in the barn. The new flock had no problem lining up and getting into the coop before the hawk could figure out if it could swoop down between the trees to get to the hens--we put the coop under cover of some trees for shade in the summer--but it also gives them some protection because they are not out in the open. There must be some protective gene in them--they know enough to seek cover when a predator shows up. Then a stray cat showed up...the poor hens had a stressful day.

Back
Top Bottom