Chipotle meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
1 pound of ground beef (I use 75% lean and cook it in it’s own fat), thawed of course.
1 egg
Ground matzos, crackers, tortillas, bread or cooked rice (½ cup).
About one lid (½ teaspoon?) white vinegar (or any one you have)
Salt to taste

Sauce:
14 oz can of diced tomatos (Im using costandinas roasted garlic diced tomatos today)
1 tin of “Chipotles en Adobo”. I use “La Costena” brand since I’ve visited their plant in mexico and was very impressed by their commitment for quality.

Optional (the good stuff)
Cubes of potato in your stew.
4 hard boiled eggs, quartered, dumped in the stew once it’s boiling.
Large chunks of onion, if you want to add it to the stew.
Cooked rice to serve it on.

Cooking:

Meat balls: pretty much your standard meatball. If you don’t know how to make them it’s really simple… knead the ground beef with the contents of one egg and the breadcrumbs. Divide this into meatballs (I like tiny ones of about half an inch but any sice short of one big meatball will do) and fry it to brown the outsides. Tiny ones will give you crisp nuggets while big ones will give you juicy meatballs. The secret of frying them is that you need to make sure the fire is about medium, enough to brown the meat but you don’t want to burn that grease that comes off the meatballs or you will end up with a pan full of motor oil. If they are still raw/pink inside that’s ok, your still going to stew them in the sauce.

Sauce: Can of diced tomatos and some peppers go into the blender with a cup of hot water. Magic comes out. I recommend ¼ of the tin for people who don’t love spice, ½ for most other people, ¾’s for those who enjoy spicy food and the whole tin if your one of those guy’s who would add the whole tin. Now add this with the meatballs into a pan and simmer for half an hour to an hour. Serve over rice.

Extras: it’s the eggs that really make it memorable the first time you eat it. My trick since I cant poach an egg to save my life is to soft boil the egg, remove the shell and let it finish cooking inside the stew.

Probably not... it's just me measuring what I put into it today. Still it should give good results. I've done it "from scratch" before but one constant is the costenya brand chipotle peppers since I cant find good dried ones here.

Back
Top Bottom