Chili sauce advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrkester

Assistant Cook
Evening all

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've just started to venture into the world of chili sauce making, and am after some advice.

I've made two small batches so far. One contained Apache & Scotch Bonnet Chilis (and other ingredients), whilst the other was made from Naga Mirchi and carrot (along with a few other ingredients). The problem is, the 2nd batch only lasted for 2 weeks before it seemed to go off (it had a bubbly taste). What went wrong?

All advice/cross-examination welcomed.

Full ingredient list of each would help. My first thought is pH of the 2nd wasn't acidic enough.

Full ingredient list of each would help. My first thought is pH of the 2nd wasn't acidic enough.
Exactly what I was going to say.

mrkester, tell me what type of sauce you want and what peppers you'll use and I'll post a recipe for you.

Like Caribbean, Red sauce, green sauce, sweet sauce, vinegar sauce...etc...

Last edited:
The problem is, the 2nd batch only lasted for 2 weeks before it seemed to go off (it had a bubbly taste).
My guess is that the bubbliness and off-taste was because you didn't refrigerate it and the sauce began fermenting. Sometimes, when you plan it, that can be a good thing. I make at least a batch or two of fermented sauce every fall.

To help preserve your sauces, you can pasteurize them and add some vinegar. If you do it right, they can last up to a year in the fridge.

As the others have mentioned, it would be helpful to know the recipe you used.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies

I feel a bit of an idiot now (said I was a newbie to this)

The 1st batch had vinegar in, whilst the 2nd batch contained Naga Mirchi Chilis (8), 2 Carrots, Garlic Puree, Water, Worcester Sauce, Pepper. I'm wondering if this is where I fell down?

It was refridgerated, but still only kept for a short period.

Only a quick answer cos off to work soon.

Am after some good hot recipes and sweet ones too

Thanks again tho to you all :)

the water in the second one was where you went wrong. no water and enough salt or vinegar and you would have been ok.

the water in the second one was where you went wrong. no water and enough salt or vinegar and you would have been ok.

Water is ok if you have enough vinegar.

OP needs to research proportions. All water is bad.

Salt is key as both a preservative and as a flavor inhancer.

I'm all ears. What do I need to know?

Because you can potentially make yourself sick, you should get on the 'net and research how to make it safely.

Or at least look at a zillion recipes and figure out common denominators which would indicate safe practices.

Also, I would search using "hot sauce" as opposed to chili sauce as the latter can mean a number of other things.

make hot sauce safety - Google Search=

Pepper Fool's Chile Pepper Recipes ......................................................................................................Chile Pepper Recipes / Holiday Recipes / Hot and Spicy / Habanero / peppers / hot Sauce / salsa / mexican / south

Many thanks for your replies

I feel a bit of an idiot now (said I was a newbie to this)

The 1st batch had vinegar in, whilst the 2nd batch contained Naga Mirchi Chilis (8), 2 Carrots, Garlic Puree, Water, Worcester Sauce, Pepper. I'm wondering if this is where I fell down?

It was refridgerated, but still only kept for a short period.

Only a quick answer cos off to work soon.

Am after some good hot recipes and sweet ones too

Thanks again tho to you all :)

this one will light you up! Wonderful tasting and very, very spicy!

Caribbean Style Hot Sauce

Water is ok if you have enough vinegar.

OP needs to research proportions. All water is bad.

Salt is key as both a preservative and as a flavor inhancer.

you are quite right. i should have said some water with enough salt and/or vinegar...

and i agree to research "hot sauces". chili sauce to me means a thicker sauce that is spooned out of a jar rather than poured from a bottle.

Kroll and Timothy hit it on the nail-head as far as I'm concerned. Think kimchee. Summer is 'fresh' but winter is fermented, fizzy and a different flavor. I'm not fond of the fermented versions. It's a hazard with non-canned (i.e., heat preserved) sauces and relishes that are not vinegary.

Thanks all for their advice. Another question has reared its head. Have made a sauce of Naga Mirchi chili, carrot and mango. Having strained it, I now find the sauce v nice, but quite watery. What could I use to thicken it? All advice welcomed as usual.

Thanks all for their advice. Another question has reared its head. Have made a sauce of Naga Mirchi chili, carrot and mango. Having strained it, I now find the sauce v nice, but quite watery. What could I use to thicken it? All advice welcomed as usual.

I would simmer it uncovered until it reduced to the thickness that you like.

Back
Top Bottom