Outdoor Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caramac

Assistant Cook
Hi there guys my name is Carmel and i am currently in my 3rd year of studying Product Design. For my final major project i am designing a portable outdoor cooking/preparation device.(not necessarily a barbecue) I was wondering if you were able to take a few minutes of your time to fill out a quick questionnaire?
I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

1. (when the weather co-operates) How often do you cook outdoors on a weekly basis?

2. What product do you use to cook outdoors and why? e.g. a disposable charcoal barbecue as it is cheap and doesn't require cleaning.

3. What foods do you cook outdoors? Does the product you use dictate what you cook, do you wish there was more freedom?

4. Preparing/cooking for vegetarians/vegans, Pescatarians and meat eaters simultaneously an issue? If so what specific problems do you have?

5. Does the hassle of cleaning the outdoor cooking device you use deter you from using it?

6. What age are you?

7. Do you think outdoor cooking is more social?

Just copy and paste the questions with your answers below.

Thank you again. Your answers will have great influence on the final product. :)

Nestles do you just want the North Americans to answer your questions?

The best designed outdoor cooker I have seen in use was a 1940's Russian field kitchen powered by wood.:)

Anyone can fill out the questionnaire, it doesn't matter where you are from.

Thanks

1. (when the weather co-operates) How often do you cook outdoors on a weekly basis?

Typically at least twice a week during the summer, and occasionally even in winter.

2. What product do you use to cook outdoors and why? e.g. a disposable charcoal barbecue as it is cheap and doesn't require cleaning.

I use a Weber Genesis gas grill.

3. What foods do you cook outdoors? Does the product you use dictate what you cook, do you wish there was more freedom?

Anything that can be grilled, meats or veggies, and I also use the grill for smoking various cuts of pork.

4. Preparing/cooking for vegetarians/vegans, Pescatarians and meat eaters simultaneously an issue? If so what specific problems do you have?

Never cooked vegetarian so can't answer that.

5. Does the hassle of cleaning the outdoor cooking device you use deter you from using it?

Nope. I just burn off anything left on the cast iron grate and brush with a wire brush. I season it with oil before every use.

6. What age are you?

I guess that depends on the design of your house. For me there is no difference, as our kitchen/family living area is all an open plan. The sliding door to the patio is also right there, so in the summer it just becomes part of the house.

Hi there guys my name is Carmel and i am currently in my 3rd year of studying Product Design. For my final major project i am designing a portable outdoor cooking/preparation device.(not necessarily a barbecue) I was wondering if you were able to take a few minutes of your time to fill out a quick questionnaire?
I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

At least three. Sometimes 7-10 during the summer if you count grilling some hot dogs or burgers for lunch. The weather never deters me.

A propane grill, charcoal grill and charcoal smoker. None are disposable.

Pretty much anything, but I suppose some things it might be said that I am frying or baking using a grill. The product doesn't dictate what I cook, what I am cooking dictates which product I use.

In the words of Roger Clemens, What's a vegan? :LOL:
I do not cook for any of these people.

No, just a fact of life. Burnt charcoal needs dumped, gas grills need scraped out.

6. What age are you?
Of consent.

It must be, the neighbor tends to show up when I am cooking something outside :chef:

Thank you again. Your answers will have great influence on the final product. :)

:)

1. (when the weather co-operates) How often do you cook outdoors on a weekly basis? At least once a week in the summer weather permitting.

2. What product do you use to cook outdoors and why? e.g. a disposable charcoal barbecue as it is cheap and doesn't require cleaning. Disposable barbecue or maybe msr firefly burner.

3. What foods do you cook outdoors? Does the product you use dictate what you cook, do you wish there was more freedom? I cook meats, fish, soups. Yeah some times wish i could roast things.

4. Preparing/cooking for vegetarians/vegans, Pescatarians and meat eaters simultaneously an issue? If so what specific problems do you have? Yeah, always have to cook the vegetarian things first.

Yes sometimes, carrying dirty things home with you can be a pain.
6. What age are you? 31

7. Do you think outdoor cooking is more social? It’s hard to get people to come but once there is a more social and enjoyable experience.

Hope this helps good look with all endeavours.

Ive never seen a "disposable charcoal barbecue" and couldnt imagine why anyone would want one.

I cook outside all the time even in cold weather.

On a weber charcoal kettle

I cook a wide variety of stuff for people with differing eating habits and food allergies.

Cleanup doesn't figure in whatsoever. I mean, it's the easiest cleanup of any cooking method.

Last edited:
Jenny, I haven't seen a disposable grill in a while, but I imagine they are still around.
They used to look like a foil baking pan that came with charcoal inside and a grate. I've never seen one in use, but that's the gist of it. Probably OK for a trip to the beach. Then toss it so you don't need to haul home. They were all self contained, like jiffy pop, lol. I've never understood disposable cameras, but they suit some people fine. Same concept.

The only time I've seen real practical use of disposable cameras was at our class reunion about 10 years ago. They left a couple of cameras at each table. Photos from those cameras were developed and uploaded onto the reunion website.

Jenny, I haven't seen a disposable grill in a while, but I imagine they are still around.
They used to look like a foil baking pan that came with charcoal inside and a grate. I've never seen one in use, but that's the gist of it. Probably OK for a trip to the beach. Then toss it so you don't need to haul home. They were all self contained, like jiffy pop, lol. I've never understood disposable cameras, but they suit some people fine. Same concept.

Interesting....

I couldn't imagine using one except maybe at the beach. Or something to keep in the emergency box.

Once a week in the winter. Two to three times a week in warmer weather.

Gas grill and Weber charcoal kettle

Meats and veggies. The type of food I'm cooking and my schedule determine which equipment I use. I wish I had more space, more money and more equipment.

No

No

6. What age are you?

Retired

No

Last edited:

About 3 or 4 times a week during the colder months and 5-7 days per/week during summer months. My grill is under the porch roof, so rain doesn't matter. In high mosquito times, they sometimes make me cook indoors instead of out. In my area, the skeeters carry wire cutters in their back pockets, so screens won't slow them down!:wacko:

I use a Weber, Smokey Joe Gold charcoal grill

I can cook anything on my grill. I have a number of pans that fit within the hood, so I can bake or simmer also. The smoke flavor adds a LOT to some dishes and foods like cornbread.

It's never been an issue. My oldest sister is a vegan, as is her daughter and my brother is a pescetarian. Depending on how much he's had to drink, my brother can bring it to the point of annoying when he's in the mood. "Has that pan ever had meat in it?" "Yes, all my pans have had meat in them, have you just finished eating?"
No, I do nothing but burn it off each time and wire brush the grill itself if needed.

6. What age are you?
59 years young.

People tend to migrate towards the kitchen or the grill. That makes those two areas more social than others in my home.

Last edited:
Hi there everyone

Your answers have been really useful but i was wondering if i would be able to ask you a couple more questions?

1. Barbecues often require assembly prior to use. Have you ever assembled a barbecue?
2. If you have assembled a barbecue, did you experience any problems?
3.If “Yes” what sort of problems have you experienced?
For example.
No instructions
Inadequate instructions
Missing parts
Damaged parts
Unable to put parts together

4.What other accessories do you use with your barbecue?
For example
Oven gloves
Tongs
Spatula
Brush
Skewer
oil spray
Fork

5.Does your barbecue have any other attachments?
For Example
Side burner/s
Oven
Rotisserie (powered)
Spit (manual)
Fondue set
Hotplate

Whenever I get calls or read posts like these, I get to wondering what's in this for me?

I decline to participate in phone calls by people benefiting from my time. I feel as if I'm an employee working to make money for someone who tells me that the public benefits from my input. HA! It benefits the caller who sells that info to companies. I doubt it does the consumer any good. It just makes money for the caller and the company.

Capitalism has its real advantages, and its real faults too.

Whenever I get calls or read posts like these, I get to wondering what's in this for me?

I decline to participate in phone calls by people benefiting from my time. I feel as if I'm an employee working to make money for someone who tells me that the public benefits from my input. HA! It benefits the caller who sells that info to companies. I doubt it does the consumer any good. It just makes money for the caller and the company.

Capitalism has its real advantages, and its real faults too.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one to shy away from the OP's last post. It makes me wonder why they are collecting all of this specific data and if anyone on this site will gain anything from it's collection.

Im only a student that wanted to grasp a deeper understanding of my target market. I have no intension of giving such details to any third party. The answers from my initial questionnaire have helped me personally towards my research. Sometimes its nice to help someone out even if there isn't anything in it for yourself but maybe thats just what feel.

Im only a student that wanted to grasp a deeper understanding of my target market. I have no intension of giving such details to any third party. The answers from my initial questionnaire have helped me personally towards my research. Sometimes its nice to help someone out even if there isn't anything in it for yourself but maybe thats just what feel.

Sorry, not buying it, lol.

I cleared up any ambiguity and have explained my reasons. If you don't want to answer the questionnaire thats fine. Others have kindly done so.

"Target Market" for what? I really don't understand why you are collecting this much specific data on BBQ construction, repairs and use.

Are you preparing a report for school or something? You have my curiosity stirred.

Back
Top Bottom