Too much laundry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
at home i only wear lounging pants and tops. change every other day after shower, unless i really drop food on them when cooking. i don't wear any underwear at all when home. i sleep naked so no p.j. i rarely wear a bra more that four hours, if i leave the house. so about every other wear i wash them. i still seem to have tons of laundry. i haven't done any wash except towels for about a month. i have been sick and had no energy to do it. i wash towels about every third or fourth time they are used. only me, and i am clean when i use them. some are in the drier right now. really need to get caught up on the wash really soon. i feel clean and that is what counts. kitchen towel pretty much one use, then wash. cool water and all fabric bleach.

babetoo said:
you bet your booties. lol . just an aside. the three times i had to call 911 were a little, very little embarrassing.

LOL. You are too funny!

I'm a guy and this is what I do.
All shirts get washed every wear.
Jean, khakis and shorts get worn at least 5 times unless they get visually dirty.
Underwear every time.

Dress Pants, Sport Coats, Suits get brushed down after every wear. I do not wear often and dry clean if I have worn them a bunch. Only about twice a year or if visually soiled or it was hot out.

Towels and sheets get washed once a week.

Laundry unfortunately is a never ending cycle. I am a weirdo though, I enjoy doing laundry and ironing so it is not a chore for me.

I hate laundry so much I will NOT let Shrek buy me a washer and dryer. I hit the laundromat every two weeks, 2-3 hours and I'm done. That is my "me" time and I take myself out to lunch, I'm usually gone about 5 hours.

i've always been anal about this. it started in high school, and my mom eventually gave up and taught me to wash my own clothes. nowadays, dw does a lot of laundry.

t shirts, underwear, and socks are worn once, then into the wash.

jeans and sweatshirts twice, sweaters twice, unless they get dirty or sweaty from work or food on the first wear, then into the laundry.

dress shirts once, suits maybe twice, ties once a millenia.

skiing clothes every month during the season.

Last edited:
Interesting! Consensus seems to be that undies and socks get one wearing, bras maybe a couple, everything else gets washed when needed.

I will try tossing jeans in the dryer after one wearing to freshen and shape.

Now I have another laundry question. 2 years ago I rescued a very VERY hairy cat. Now, I absolutely cannot wear anything dark, because that horrible fine cat hair turns into little lint balls. Is there anything I can put into the washer or dryer to catch those hairs? (Maybe the cat should be thrown into the washer and dryer once a week?)

My sister had two angora cats and two keeshounds. She bought some kind of rubber balls with nubs on them at Walmart or somewhere. She put them in the washer when she did laundry. They seemed to help quite a bit. Of course when the clothes were worn again they got covered as soon as you sat down somewhere.

I only wear bras once before washing them. I wear work clothes once before washing them. We are also casual. I have two cats so if I didn't wash after the first wear I'd be full of cat hair, lol. If it's dry cleaned then I may wear it twice before dry cleaning it.

Towels I am real funny about. I learned a few years ago that when you flush the toilet there's a fine mist of water that sprays out. So I just started using my towels once. Because even if you close the toilet there are still gaps.

Cats are the reason I take a shower, get dressed and leave the house. I never sit down after getting dressed.

I have a full polar fleece robe I put on over my clothes if I am going to a meeting. This keeps the Saint fur and slime off my clothes. I take the robe with me, and before I go back in the house, I put it on so I can take off my "goin' to meeting" clothes without getting slime on them. Clothes that get slimed have to be washed 2x and rinsed in vinegar to get the slime out. I also keep those in a "no dog" room and dress in there, don my robe, and then go back into the part of the house where the dogs can roam.

I have a full polar fleece robe I put on over my clothes if I am going to a meeting. This keeps the Saint fur and slime off my clothes. I take the robe with me, and before I go back in the house, I put it on so I can take off my "goin' to meeting" clothes without getting slime on them. Clothes that get slimed have to be washed 2x and rinsed in vinegar to get the slime out. I also keep those in a "no dog" room and dress in there, don my robe, and then go back into the part of the house where the dogs can roam.

I fostered a Saint Bernard for about a month. Very sweet dog, but that slime. Oh my!

sparrowgrass, depending on what you are wearing if you dampen your hands and run them on your clothes you will remove MOST of the hair before you toss stuff in the laundry. Otherwise, you just need to be vigilant about picking out the hair from every lint trap.

Cats are the reason I take a shower, get dressed and leave the house. I never sit down after getting dressed.

Your post made me chuckle!

When we were kids the whole family would sit around in our underwear waiting until the last possible minute to get dressed and leave the house before a big formal event like a wedding or a funeral.

Partly because of the pets, the smokers and the fact that we only had one bathroom plus a lot of people to get cleaned up.

We must have made a strange sight!:LOL:

i've always been anal about this. it started in high school, and my mom eventually gave up and taught me to wash my own clothes. nowadays, dw does a lot of laundry.

t shirts, underwear, and socks are worn once, then into the wash.

jeans and sweatshirts twice, sweaters twice, unless they get dirty or sweaty from work or food on the first wear, then into the laundry.

dress shirts once, suits maybe twice, ties once a millenia.

skiing clothes every month during the season.

My ex was so anal that he would NOT use a bath towel twice. I finally said, "Don't you use soap and wash when you shower? Ever? YOU DO THE (expletive deleted) laundry!" Understand, doing laundry required a trudge to a laundry trailer in way, way sub-zero weather, high winds, and fighting with other women over who gets what washer/dryer when. Of course the women thought he was an adorable anomaly (a man doing laundry? We knew WAFs were sluts and slobs!) and he got time to do drugs without annoying me, so as far as it went, it worked!

Last edited:
If you put on a latex glove and dampen that, it will pick up the hair as well. I've done that (but then, I've also gone to meet a client with a glob of slime on my face to which I was oblivious--and to which Newfoundland hair had adhered--note to self--always stop in the restroom first!)

I fostered a Saint Bernard for about a month. Very sweet dog, but that slime. Oh my!
I have a sign in the kitchen that reads "warning--slime zone!" I can't tell you how many times I've done the splits (at my age) because I've slipped on slime...and vinegar is something I'd like to buy in a 55-gal. drum. And yes, I do wash my ceilings 4-5 times/year. Slime flies!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom