Combinations that just strike you as wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't "get" why so many recipes for game and pork and lamb include a sugary, fruit sauce. I feel that red wine and other ingredients more flatter the strong flavors than sugar does.

I'm not crazy about sweet vegetables being prepared with ... more sugar! I guess it is the desert-lovers trying to turn the main meal into desert. I don't think sweet potatoes, beets, and sugar snap peas need .... sugar!

Your imagination is letting you down then, my friend. Fish tacos are pretty darn fantastic!

fish tacos are the bomb. i eat them usually twice a month. a good way to get more seafood into your diet. use thin corn tortillas. crispy fried fish, lettuce, i make a topping out of sour cream and tarter sauce. a squeeze of lime and a little cilantro, oh an just a bit of green taco sauce. :chef:

After having a friend from San Diego visit me in Florida and introduce me to her take on Reuben's fish tacos, then visiting her and going there, we still do make fish tacos using fried fish (fish sticks, fish nuggets, etc), but also buy fish fillets: slice and sautee with onions and peppers, your favorite seasonings, much as you'd do for fajitas (and yes, makes great fajitas). A bit healthier, and my husband loves them.

fish tacos are the bomb. i eat them usually twice a month. a good way to get more seafood into your diet. use thin corn tortillas. crispy fried fish, lettuce, i make a topping out of sour cream and tarter sauce. a squeeze of lime and a little cilantro, oh an just a bit of green taco sauce. :chef:

Keep talking like that and you will have me changing my dinner plans tonight :chef:
Come to think of it, I haven't made those Mediterranean fish wraps in a while... sautéed snapper with Greek seasoning, chunky cucumber, roasted red peppers, lettuce, feta, wrapped up in a tortilla... mmmm

I know there are exceptions but for me.

Fish and cheese
Pork and fruit
Fish and lemon squeezed on it
Miracle whip and anything
Marshmellows,jello and fruit
proscutto and melon

Bad combos:
mayo and anything in my house
Tuna and casserole
Green bean casserole and holidays

I did once try the combo of watermelon and blue cheese after seeing it on a top chef season. . .in theory, I could understand how it made sense. . .in my mouth, I wondered why I put it in there.

4me and chopper's post have everything I like.. lol

When I was a kid, I loved Miracle Whip and iceberg lettuce sandwiches. I know, I'm a strange bird. My mom and I make macaroni salad using half mayo and half MW. She adds tuna to hers though. And I even love tuna-noodle casserole.

Where I come from (I hear that Alan Jackson song), there is a restaurant known for its fish fries. They serve a big piece of fried haddock with a nice wedge of lemon, coleslaw and fries. I can't imagine any kind of seafood (well, shrimp, lobster, scallops, etc) without lemon. I love broiled fish with Old Bay and a squeeze of lemon juice. YUM!

A few years back, I made a ham with pineapple and cherries on Christmas Eve for Mark.

My grandma used to make the "marshmallow salad" all the time for birthdays and other occasions. I even love the green bean casserole with the french-fried onions on top. I guess my family has been a big influence on me

As far as fish tacos... when I make them, I like to use Rotel tomatoes, iceberg lettuce and whatever cheese I have on hand.

I guess it's all in a person's personal preference.

One thing I will never understand is I've seen some people eat potato chips on sandwiches. I've never tried it, so I really don't know. That seems strange.

Last edited:
Fish tacos sounds wrong to me, but I like them ;)

I'm really not a fan of pineapple with ham or pizza. A little bit of mint jelly is good with lamb, provided the mint jelly is not green.

4meandthem said:
I know there are exceptions but for me.

Fish and cheese
Pork and fruit
Fish and lemon squeezed on it
Miracle whip and anything
Marshmellows,jello and fruit
proscutto and melon

"And these are a few of my favorite things...."

"when the dawg bites, when the bee stings, when i'm feeling sad"...

thanks dawg, now i'll have the sound of music in my head all night. :glare:

i used to shy away from fried fish tacos, but then i had a grilled grouper taco and it was delicious with a little onion, tomato, cilantro, lime, and a splash or three of hot sauce.

about the only combos i dislike are orange and cream, like a creamsicle, and i don't like cranberry with dairy, or drinking juice after brushing my teeth. :sick:

Last edited:
"when tge dawg bites when the bee stings, when i'm feeling sad"...

i used to shy away from fried fish tacos, but then i had a grilled grouper taco and it was delicious with a little onion, tomato, cilantro, lime, and a splash or three of hot sauce.

about the only combos i dislike are orange and cream, like a creamsicle, and i don't like cranberry with dairy, or drinking juice after brushing my teeth. :sick:
ROTFMAO

Fish tacos still don't soyund good to me BUT I agree with the bottom stuff

buckytom said:

Crest toothpaste and grapefruit juice. Forgot about that one! Thanks, BT!

Last edited:
buckytom said:

Mmmmm...dreamsicle! I love orange and cream!

Sure don't like cucumbers pickled in any way. They are great just the way they come out of the garden.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom