Agree With This Storage Method??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
When freezing, be sure the chicken is as fresh as possible. Remove it from the package it came in and rewrap tightly, using plastic wrap, foil or freezer paper. If you are storing for more than two months, double wrapping is suggested. Be sure the wrap is pulled tightly against the entire surface of the chicken to prevent ice crystals from forming in areas that are not wrapped tight. Ice crystals form in these areas because moisture has been drawn out of the meat, causing the chicken to become tough in these areas. This condition is known as "freezer burn." Mark the wrapped package with contents and the date so you can be certain of how long it has been stored in the freezer.

I solved the freezer burn problem by getting a Food Saver appliance. I can keep meat in the freezer (and other freezable stuff) for close to a year with no freezer burn. For soft items, i.e., bread and stuff, I freeze first then when frozen put in a food saver bag. Tyson (at costco) has their fresh chicken breasts already individually vacuum sealed.

DS They are the special bags that come with or are purchased separately that go with the Food Saver appliance. (vacuum packs food or what ever)

Dove said:
DS They are the special bags that come with or are purchased separately that go with the Food Saver appliance. (vacuum packs food or what ever)

correct, they are sold in QVC, and wholesale places, costco, walmart, etc. Best investment I ever made.

ok whats a food saver appliance?

My father ALWAYS wrapped foil around the original package the meat is in. But THAT never made sense to me. Now you have cold foil around the same package. Am I wrong here????

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
ok whats a food saver appliance?

My father ALWAYS wrapped foil around the original package the meat is in. But THAT never made sense to me. Now you have cold foil around the same package. Am I wrong here????

You should take the meat from the original package, or that is what I always did, and divide it into serving portions. The tighter the wrap the less air and moisture to freezer burn it. Food saver is a brand name for an appliance that sucks the air out of the bags, and vacuum seals the food inside for freezing.

Ahhhhhh! ;) Now that makes sense. Thanks again!!!
1.gif

I use my foodsaver for this as well, but if I didn't have one I would use DS's method. I agree that the foodsaver was the best appliance I have purchased for my kitchen.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I should probably get of those before my Star Trek DVDs huh. :?

Hey what would happen if you stuck your tounge in it and turned it on?! :P

You will have a really fresh tounge or a really bad movie.

norgeskog said:
I solved the freezer burn problem by getting a Food Saver appliance.

norgeskog said:
correct, they are sold in QVC, and wholesale places, costco, walmart, etc. Best investment I ever made.

GB said:
I use my foodsaver for this as well, but if I didn't have one I would use DS's method. I agree that the foodsaver was the best appliance I have purchased for my kitchen.

MJ said:
Im with you GB. I love my foodsaver.

Dove said:

Allrighty then!
img_83257_0_9474d4f03dcdaa71f03a4acdbfb656a4.gif

I've been wondering if I should get one of those "dealy-bobs"....
But I was always afraid they would not last, and I wouldn't beable to find the BAGS!!!
img_83257_1_0c02ab6c593ac9b2929934c3eeae3c39.gif

I will hafta have one!
img_83257_2_c123987ba0ce0b8d37291f740fd5cd7a.gif

(darn-it BLEEP! (from the Bleep post lol)....I skipped the Havarti too!l)

The 25-cent tour ....

The "FoodSaver" is a trademark of Tilia, Inc. (and generally considered to be the best brand around). Deni, Rival, Black & Decker, and some others, also make vacuum food sealers that are "basically" the same thing but are not generally considered to be as good (lower vacuum).

"DANCE WITH THE ONE THAT BRUNG YA": Each brand is a little different, the amount of vacuum it draws, the sealing temp, etc. They all have bags designed to be used in their machines - don't try to mix-n-match. That's according to my son that has tried different brands of bags on his gizmo.

They all work on the same principle - to remove as much air as possible. This does two things ... it removes the air that causes meat to oxidize (what happens when it turns brown) and form ice crystals, and it makes food last longer because it removes the air that enzymes, molds, etc. need to cause the food to go bad.

To use - follow the instructions that come with your vacuum gizmo. Personally, when I get something like a hunk of cow ... I remove it from the original "plastic tray", blot it try with paper towels, then bag it. What once used to go "yucky" now looks pristine, and taste good too, up to about a year.

Back
Top Bottom