Ad Hoc (Keller) - Pot Pie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elmsley4

Assistant Cook
Why doesn't Thomas Keller have you salt the blanching water the potatoes, carrots and onions in his Chicken Pot Pie recipe in Ad Hoc, but he DOES salt the water for the diced celery? I found the pie a bit bland due to this.

Is this an error, or by design? If by design, what's the reasoning for not salting the water?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm going to salt the blanching water for the potatoes, onions and celery next time.

Me too. I can't imagine cooking potatoes without salted water. It sounds like it would be really bland.

Normally I'd think this was an error, but he clearly states to salt the celery water. It's possible though it's a typo. I personally found the filling a bit bland, but I usually (unless it's a glaring error) try to make the chef's recipe as written, and THEN make my personal changes.

Normally I'd think this was an error, but he clearly states to salt the celery water. It's possible though it's a typo. I personally found the filling a bit bland, but I usually (unless it's a glaring error) try to make the chef's recipe as written, and THEN make my personal changes.

I have read a lot of TK's writing on food and cooking and he is VERY firm in his belief that vegetables should be blanched in small batches in large pots of heavily salted water.

So I am guessing its a typo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom