Pressure Cooker VS Canner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SenorPartagas

Assistant Cook
Can anyone describe the difference for me? Is it possible to properly can in a pressure cooker? Does a vinegar solution (pickled peppers) allow for a water bath instead of pressure canned?

I believe you can can in either vessel but the pressure cooker is much more versatile. I highly, highly recommend the All American brand. They employ a metal-on-metal seal that never needs gaskets, and they're bulletproof. You could hand it down to your great grand children.

A pressure cooker can can (?) just about anything. A waterbath canner does well with high acid foods. Pressure cookers terrify me though, but I'm a wimp. I have done many pickles with my waterbath and my steam canners. Get the Ball Blue Book, more or less the canner's bible. Check with your local Extension Agency, a wealth of info to be had.

Have you checked out the canning thread here? Lots of good info. Good luck!

Last edited:
As I understand it, when you use a cooker to can you may have some issues. The times typically given for pressure canning take into account the time it takes a canner to heat and come to pressure, as well as release times. A cooker might come up to fast and release too fast.

You can use a canner to cook in, though some are quite large and might be inconvenient depending on what you wish to cook.

When dealing with canning I, personally, would not be willing to cut corners on equipment. If the manufacture doesn't say it is appropriate for canning I would not use it.

If the cooker can hold at least 4 quart jars, and if it has a dial or an adjustable weight, you can use it for canning. Some cookers only have one setting, and that won't work. As Frank said, the recipes take into account the time it takes to heat up the whole works.

Another vote for Extension--to find your local office, google 'Extension, your state, your county' for the phone number. The Ball Blue Book is great, as is this site: National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications

The U. of Georgia site has recipes for pickled peppers, and they are waterbathed.

Back
Top Bottom