Can I replace whipping cream for the heavy cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morningstar

Assistant Cook
I am want to make chocolate frosting but in the recipe I need to have heavy cream . Bur in my supermarket don't have that . they just have whipping cream . Can I replace it with whipping cream ? Please help me . Thanks .

Heavy cream = heavy whipping cream = whipping cream

They all contain roughly 36% or more fat content.

[Code of Federal Regulations] [Title 21, Volume 2] [Revised as of April 1, 2011] [CITE: 21CFR131.150]

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SUBCHAPTER B--FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION PART 131 -- MILK AND CREAM
Subpart B--Requirements for Specific Standardized Milk and Cream
Sec. 131.150 Heavy cream. (a)Description. Heavy cream is cream which contains not less than 36 percent milkfat. It is pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized, and may be homogenized.
(b)Optional ingredients. The following safe and suitable optional ingredients may be used:
(1) Emulsifiers.
(2) Stabilizers.
(3) Nutritive sweeteners.
(4) Characterizing flavoring ingredients (with or without coloring) as follows:
(i) Fruit and fruit juice (including concentrated fruit and fruit juice).
(ii) Natural and artificial food flavoring.
(c)Methods of analysis. The milkfat content is determined by the method prescribed in "Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists," 13th Ed. (1980), sections 16.156 and 16.059, under "Fat, Roese-Gottlieb Method--Official Final Action," which is incorporated by reference. Copies may be obtained from the AOAC INTERNATIONAL, 481 North Frederick Ave., suite 500, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, or may be examined at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to:http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.
(d)Nomenclature. (1) The name of the food is "Heavy cream" or alternatively "Heavy whipping cream". The name of the food shall be accompanied on the label by a declaration indicating the presence of any characterizing flavoring, as specified in 101.22 of this chapter. The following terms shall accompany the name of the food wherever it appears on the principal display panel or panels of the label in letters not less than one-half the height of the letters used in such name:
(i) The word "ultra-pasteurized" if the food has been ultra-pasteurized.
(ii) The word "sweetened" if no characterizing flavoring ingredients are used, but nutritive sweetener is added.
(2) The following terms may appear on the label:
(i) The word "pasteurized" if the food has been pasteurized.
(ii) The word "homogenized" if the food has been homogenized.
(e)Label declaration. Each of the ingredients used in the food shall be declared on the label as required by the applicable sections of parts 101 and 130 of this chapter.
[42 FR 14360, Mar. 15, 1977, as amended at 47 FR 11824, Mar. 19, 1982; 49 FR 10092, Mar. 19, 1984; 54 FR 24893, June 12, 1989; 58 FR 2891, Jan. 6, 1993]

Last edited:
And a side note, whipping cream turns into WHIPPED cream. I hate it when people call whipped cream whipping cream. Almost as much as a hate it when people say "un-thaw" :/

And a side note, whipping cream turns into WHIPPED cream. I hate it when people call whipped cream whipping cream. Almost as much as a hate it when people say "un-thaw" :/

I feel a little less crazy now that I have met someone like me. One that truly drives me bonkers is "I could care less"

My mother and most of my family say "unthaw"

I am want to make chocolate frosting but in the recipe I need to have heavy cream . Bur in my supermarket don't have that . they just have whipping cream . Can I replace it with whipping cream ? Please help me . Thanks .

I've seen "heavy cream" and "whipping cream" in the store and they can be used pretty much interchangeably. Heavy cream has just a bit more fat, but that is about the only difference.

Now my store carries "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream" to add to the confusion. :LOL:

Unthaw must mean when you stick food back in the freezer after it has "unfrozen". :LOL:

I've seen "heavy cream" and "whipping cream" in the store and they can be used pretty much interchangeably. Heavy cream has just a bit more fat, but that is about the only difference.

Now my store carries "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream" to add to the confusion. :LOL:

This is true.

Heavy cream and whipping cream are not always the same thing. And you're right, they can be used interchangeably and the only difference is the fat content.

If it's labeled "whipping cream" its usually light whipping cream which contains 30-36% fat. If it's labeled "heavy cream" or "heavy whipping cream" it has to have at least 36% fat.

I feel a little less crazy now that I have met someone like me. One that truly drives me bonkers is "I could care less"

My mother and most of my family say "unthaw"

Just curious....do these people also say that they are "unsleeping"
during the day?

And are they "unfasting" when they are eating?

And maybe they are "unwalking" when they are sitting down.

People are crazy. Fortunately I never make mistakes.......except
for when I'm awake.

Just curious....do these people also say that they are "unsleeping"
during the day?

And are they "unfasting" when they are eating?

And maybe they are "unwalking" when they are sitting down.

People are crazy. Fortunately I never make mistakes.......except
for when I'm awake.

You mean "unasleep"...unleft?:rolleyes:

Just buy a squirt can of Reddi-Whip!
images

De-bone gets me.
And I'm glad my store doesn't have all those creams to add to my confusion. They just have heavy cream, which I've used to make whipped cream from.

pacanis said:
De-bone gets me.
And I'm glad my store doesn't have all those creams to add to my confusion. They just have heavy cream, which I've used to make whipped cream from.

I don't get this one- de-bone seems pretty correct to me lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom