What's Cooking Wednesday, November 23?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pecan and pumpkin pies, butternut squash are cooking today. But that's all for tomorrow.

Tonight's dinner will be pastrami sandwiches.

I have a middle pork loin roast. Never seen the cut before, but our local market had them. Looks like a beef rib roast, but pork. Going to roast that tonight. Probably roast some garnet yam and yukon gold potatoes to go with. Veg TBD.

I'll be making turkey stock for tomorrow's gravy and also will make the cranberries tonight so they have time to mellow and meld.

Mashed potatoes, corn casserole, pies, a cheese ball, cupcakes... all for tomorrow. No dinner plans tonight! We might just order pizza since the kitchen will be busy with all that other stuff.

I'm making pecan pies today and brining our turkey. I've been cooking for three days in preparation for tomorrow (everything but the bird and gravy is done and ready to go), so I'm not cooking dinner tonight. Chinese take-out for dinner.

Turkey bolognese for us here in the UK. I will try to remember to take a photo once cooked, I always forget because I'm so desperate to eat my meal!

Pre-flighting for tomorrow so I am having a Roast Beef Sub tonight.

Ranchewife-- that's a lot of prep 3 days cooking beforehand. It is so worth it. :yum: Last year DxW ( and I) found out she/ we were having thanksgiving with less than a week's notice. We cleaned her already immaculate house until you needed sun-glasses and then set about the dinner plan. I think we made gravy in advance by cooking thighs and wings etc, gallons, and I don't remember what else can be done in advance. I wonder if we made the dressing in advance, I don't remember doing too much on Thanksgiving day, certainly no chopping, except roast the turkey. WELL I do Remember I was not allowed to rest on my laurels, whatever that means, heheh, AS I was not allowed to sit down and rest the whole day until dinner. I know one sis-in law came over the day before to peel 20 lb/s potatoes that we just set in cold water in kettles. It would be too much to do the morning of.

Tomorrow, I am going to DxW in the a.m to peel potatoes, as she is bringing the mashed taters this year, ( in crock pots), to her bro's in time for dinner, and her dominant arm is still healing from a fracture this summer. It's not all goodness and kindness of heart. There is a standard to maintain, and that includes smooth no lumpy potatoes. heheh.

I think dinner will be something light. I've got the makings for Nachos and that's pretty easy.

my daughter and her boyfriend, oldest granddaughter and her boyfriend coming tonight. she is bringing food so i don't know. i am making pumpkin crumb cake for dessert. also will bake pumpkin dump cake for tomorrows dinner. if i have time will make green bean casserole X 2 for turkey day.

since we're having traditional turkey day tomorrow, i wanted something very different tonight. so, i'm picking up vegetarian indian takeout, and dw is making stuffed flounder for a protein.

the indian takeout is a south indian thali (curries, roti, papadum, chutney, daal), veggie biryani, an extra spicy masala dosa (i challenged the guy to make it as hot as any chili head indian would like it - maybe a mistake when i saw the wry smile on his face when i asked...), and some mango lassis to wash it down.

I don't know yet. My day didn't exactly go as planned. I had intended to go to the store today... and tomorrow is out. I'll raid the freezer when I start getting hungry. The nachos mentioned earlier are a possibility...

I"M POOPED. Older son wanted Thanksgiving dinner at his house but when I asked him what he wanted me to bring, I thought the list would never end. :LOL:

"We have to have your fabulous dressing, and your gravy too, and I love that broccoli salad you do, and that fresh cranberry sauce, and could you do something for desert too?" :ROFLMAO: He makes the best turkey EVER~California style on the Webber barbeque. Someone is bringing mashed potato casserole and candied yams.

Everything is done and ready to go for tomorrow. I'll be doing Babe's Pumpkin Dump Cake in the morning.

Tonight we're eating a small casserole of the dressing (sausage, dried cranberries, pecans with celery and onion) moistened with homemade turkey neck stock.
I'll lay the meat from the necks on top, and drizzle with some gravy. Yumm...

I decided to go the fried route tonight. First time I ever "gang" breaded and fried shrimp, because they were smallish.
After they had thawed I dumped them into a strainer and shook, then dusted with flour and tossed, then "forked" them into the egg wash, then forked them into a gallon ziploc with the crumbs. Tossed them around a bit and layed the bag flat on a cutting board. Then I cut it open and carried the board to the oil where I could quickly pick them up and drop into the oil. It worked pretty well. There's a lot of shrimp there.

Attachments

• shrimp & fries Nov '11.jpg
    shrimp & fries Nov '11.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 239
I made our favorite no-meat lasagna for dinner.

I spent pretty much all day in the kitchen prepping for tomorrow and got everything done I needed to! I'm whooped but tomorrow's gonna be a breeze. The best part is I'm not feeling one bit stressed about it. :chef:

I'm making salisbury steak with roasted, seasoned new potatoes (garlic, basil, chives and salt) and veggies on the side.

Last edited:
Nice shrimp, Pac!

DH finished the tuna salad, I had a handful of Tostitos and two fun size Snickers that I rediscovered, while making the scalloped corn for tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom