Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Sauces, Marinades, Rubs (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Making compound butter (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f19/making-compound-butter-76300.html)

roadfix 11-24-2011 02:15 PM

Making compound butter
Is it ok to heat and melt butter to make some herbed compound butter and let it cool down before using?

Andy M. 11-24-2011 02:17 PM

Typically, the butter just needs to be softened then mixed with the herb, shaped and chilled. Butter has air whipped into it. Melting will change the texture. That's not necessarily bad, just worth noting.

roadfix 11-24-2011 02:24 PM

Yes, I noticed the diff in texture after it cooled and turned back to semi solid form. I think I'll go ahead and use it as is. Thanks.

pacanis 11-24-2011 02:56 PM

Wouldn't your herbs settle, also?
Of course, I guess you could always whip it again.

roadfix 11-25-2011 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, the herbs initially settled in liquid butter but I whipped it up as it was cooling and whipped some more before slathering it on the turkey. The turkey came out pretty tasty as it kept self basting itself on the rotisserie. I was pretty happy with my very first turkey cook.

Andy M. 11-25-2011 11:56 AM

Looks great, roadfix.

pacanis 11-25-2011 12:33 PM

Fantastic looking bird, Roadie! Gorgeous.

chayati 06-23-2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 1075582)
Is it ok to heat and melt butter to make some herbed compound butter and let it cool down before using?

Hi roadfix,

You don't need to heat the butter as it will separate. The best way to make a compound butter is to let the butter sit out at room temperature until it is very soft. I like to put the butter in a kitchen aid bowl with the mixing paddle and fold the ingredient or ingredients into the butter. My favorite is blue cheese/herb butter. Fold the herbs and crumbled blue cheese into the butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Next, place the butter on parchment paper towards one end in a single row. Roll the paper from end to end and squeeze the ends to make it a tight cylinder. Place the cylinder in the freezer; once it is solid you can cut it into 1/4 inch thick rounds which are great for placing on top of grilled steaks or warm bread. You can flavor the butter with whatever you like and every create sweet butter with walnuts for topping french toast or pancakes.
Hope this answers you question..

4meandthem 06-23-2012 05:45 PM

Looks good! That must be your homemade grill. What did you use for the rotisserie?

no mayonnaise 06-24-2012 12:58 AM

Definitely do not melt the butter for compound butter. One of my favorite compound butters is really simple with tarragon, parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and fresh ground white pepper. Ah-mazing stuff especially on seafood and brussels sprouts.