Transferring Cake to Serving Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Girl49

Cook
I made a yummy sour cream chocolate bundt cake -- a Cook's Illustrated recipe -- for Thanksgiving. It was gorgeous coming out of oven and released perfectly. But had some trouble when transferring the cake from the cooling rack to cake stand. Inverting wasn't working well, and I tried to pick the cake up to move it and broke a large hunk off. Ended up transferring by picking up the parchment paper supporting the cake and placing it on the cake stand. Any suggestions for easier handling?

I usually use two tools, one serrated knife and one rubber spatula. One in each hand, holding the cake from bottom and on a balance, so the cake doesn't break. And I still need to be very careful. Good luck.:yum:

I made a yummy sour cream chocolate bundt cake -- a Cook's Illustrated recipe -- for Thanksgiving. It was gorgeous coming out of oven and released perfectly. But had some trouble when transferring the cake from the cooling rack to cake stand. Inverting wasn't working well, and I tried to pick the cake up to move it and broke a large hunk off. Ended up transferring by picking up the parchment paper supporting the cake and placing it on the cake stand. Any suggestions for easier handling?

I'm having trouble understanding why you didn't invert the bunt cake directly to the cake stand, instead of inverting it first on to cooling rack. ???

Cake

Savory and Kayelle: Good points. I should have inverted directly onto cake stand. Alas, I read recipe and followed instructions w/o thinking too much about it. If I make this mistake again, will use spatula/balancing and I hope will have better luck. In any case, the cake was good! :chef: Thanks to you both.

You could also use a cookie sheet that has three sides missing. I have a small one just for that purpose. It easily slips under the cake and yet is big enough to hold the whole cake. :chef:

When I make a cake like that, I cool it by standing it on top a wine bottle (the hole goes over the top). Then when it's cooled, I invert it directly onto the serving platter.

Yes, What Chef June says. And if you are going to frost it, frost directly on the cake plate. Put Some pieces of wax paper or parchment under the cake before frosting it and pull them out when completed. Beautiful cake, clean plate and you get to lick the papers. and No Messy fingers. Hah.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom