Canning Christmas Ideas Bloody Marys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqwrdmusings

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone! Just joined the site and I have a question I was hoping you could answer. I'm thinking about making homemade Christmas presents this year and I saw this post in simple living.

Pickled Bloody Mary Mix | Stocking Stuffer Ideas | Real Simple

So, I'm thinking about making a huge batch of fresh Bloody Mary Mix and canning it to give out to friends.

Now I know I have to boil any jars I use and make sure to keep everything clean and sealed but I have a few questions.

1. Can I use old pasta jars as long as I boil them and freeze them until I give them away or do I have to use mason jars?

2. Does anyone know of stores that would sell mason (or other appropriate canning jars) in the city of Philadelphia?

3. Can I freeze these jars until I'm ready to give them out? Do I have to worry about the glass breaking or anything?

4. Are there any other issues that might arise that a novice canner should watch out for?

5. Finally, do you think it makes sense to add the vodka to the mix and then can them or to simply give away the mix without the vodka? (considering what it will look like, how it will keep, how it will taste etc.)

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys!

~Robby

/Originally I was thinking about using old pasta jars

Attachments

• bloody-mary-mix_300.jpg
    bloody-mary-mix_300.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 274
aqwrdmusings said:
Hello everyone! Just joined the site and I have a question I was hoping you could answer. I'm thinking about making homemade Christmas presents this year and I saw this post in simple living.

Pickled Bloody Mary Mix | Stocking Stuffer Ideas | Real Simple

So, I'm thinking about making a huge batch of fresh Bloody Mary Mix and canning it to give out to friends.

Now I know I have to boil any jars I use and make sure to keep everything clean and sealed but I have a few questions.

1. Can I use old pasta jars as long as I boil them and freeze them until I give them away or do I have to use mason jars?

2. Does anyone know of stores that would sell mason (or other appropriate canning jars) in the city of Philadelphia?

3. Can I freeze these jars until I'm ready to give them out? Do I have to worry about the glass breaking or anything?

4. Are there any other issues that might arise that a novice canner should watch out for?

5. Finally, do you think it makes sense to add the vodka to the mix and then can them or to simply give away the mix without the vodka? (considering what it will look like, how it will keep, how it will taste etc.)

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys!

~Robby

/Originally I was thinking about using old pasta jars

Welcome to DC!

So are you trying to replicate the Bloody Mary mix? I didn't see a recipe, just what they're selling for the completed mix. I would try to find an actual recipe for your first venture, and not make one up as you go along.

1. Use mason jars. Regular jars can have unseen chips, etc. and are not meant for repeat canning. Pick up the Ball Blue Book, or contact your local extension agency for great canning help. Check out the canning thread here on DC.

2. Any grocer or Walmart will sell canning supplies

3. Mason jars freeze fine, just don't overfill, give head space. They're specially made for freezing and canning. You can use a plastic lid for freezing, not canning.

4. Please check out a reputable resource, such as Ball BB or extension agency.

5. I would follow the canner's recipe. You don't want to boil vodka, unless it's for pasta sauce.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your help, especially about finding that local agency. I was going to use a generic recipe but I found a specific one i think I can use. The Runaway Spoon » Homemade Bloody Mary Mix (with canning instructions)

Very helpful, I will definitely have to post to let you know how it went. Of course, canning it now kind of misses the point of canning since tomatoes are out of season but I just like the idea of giving friends freshly made bloody mary mix, hope it works out well :)

You can download the Ball Blue Book. It was available a few years back. If not, I know Ace Hardware stores carry it. Call your local store first insted of running around.

Back
Top Bottom