Making cornbread with wrong pan size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I have a few recipes for corn bread that call for a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Well, I only have an 8-inch or 10-inch, not 9-inch. I am wondering if it would be better to go one size up or one size down? I was think to use the 8-inch so it would be thicker and stay moister, but I'm not sure if there might be some reason not to?

I have a few recipes for corn bread that call for a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Well, I only have an 8-inch or 10-inch, not 9-inch. I am wondering if it would be better to go one size up or one size down? I was think to use the 8-inch so it would be thicker and stay moister, but I'm not sure if there might be some reason not to?
You may have to adjust your cooking time one way or the other with either larger or smaller pans. Other than that, it won't make a bit of difference. In the larger pan, the batter will spread out thinner and will be faster cooking. Just watch it at near the total cooking time and do the toothpick test. With cornbread, if it looks done, it probably is done. Watch for that perfect golden brown top.

I use my 8 inch all the time. Just be sure to tap the pan on the counter after filling so the mixture is evenly spread out and won't peak in the middle. The cooking time, i have found, is the same because the cornbread is thicker.

I use a 9 or 10 inch skillet. about the same...maybe 5 min less cook time with the larger pan depending on the slope of the sides.

I would use the 8". I prefer a thicker cornbread than the one I get with my 10" skillet. And it also seems moister.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom