Non traditional ingredients you like to add to traditional dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I like to add a little chopped fresh rosemary to my clam chowder.Not exactly traditional but I find it works really well.

I also like soy and and a little parm on white rice. (Way out there)

Granulated garlic in a grilled cheese sandwich works for me too.

What are your oddities?

I sometimes add a drop of real vanilla to freshen up scrambled eggs or omelets.

I inherited this trait from my mother, she puts vanilla in just about everything that she bakes. I've never tried scrambled eggs, but I will now. Farm fresh local eggs of course;)

I have a friend bringing me some eggs from her chickens today!

I inherited this trait from my mother, she puts vanilla in just about everything that she bakes. I've never tried scrambled eggs, but I will now. Farm fresh local eggs of course;)

I have a friend bringing me some eggs from her chickens today!

It's good for eggs that are a few days old. But a single drop is all that is needed.

Brace yourselves:

Always put a dollop of mayonnaise - a big dollop - in mashed potatoes; in mac and cheese, a pinch of curry powder.

I will, and have been know to, add ranch to many-a-dish. Either as a condiment, or use the dry powder base in marinades, sauces, all sorts of stuff.

OH!

Left over Chinese: If you get extra mu shu pancakes, use em like a tortilla(or hell, just use a tortilla), rice as the base and what ever leftovers I have, all make a GREAT Burrito!

Cocoa powder or unsweetened chocolate in my chili. Sometimes molasses.

My Christmas party specialty is Cincinnati chili. Oh, No! Texans die when I say this. Cinnamon and allspice and vinegar in chili?! Every year I put another pound of ground chuck in the pot, and it all, always disappears.

If it's Cincinnati Chili, it's not Tejas Chili and those Texans can go ahead and make it their own way. I like Beans in my chili. It's not Texas chili either, so there is no intent on starting a border war about this.
I 'd bring my own spoon to your party. :yum:

I like Jalapeno's in my egg salad sandwiches. Don't think this is too unusual, but it adds a different flavor to the sammie.

Back
Top Bottom