Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   BBQ & Smokin' Meats (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   How to season these steaks? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/how-to-season-these-steaks-76530.html)

gs88 12-05-2011 10:22 PM

How to season these steaks?

Hi everyone

I have some strip loin steaks and I plan to cook them on my george foreman grill.

Last time I used one of those club house rubs and then threw the steaks on the grill quickly and they were okay but a lot of the rub came off.

I was thinking of doing the method of marinating the steaks using olive oil/soy sauce/worcester sauce... If I do this, can I still use the rub after and more dry seasoning or will that be overkill in terms of marinate/seasoning?

Andy M. 12-06-2011 05:47 AM

Those are really good steaks. I'd just apply salt and pepper to both sides and grill them on the hottest setting.

jennyema 12-06-2011 06:25 AM

I agree with Andy. Salt and pepper and the highest heat possible on that thing.

Or, even better, sear in a cast iron skillet and finish in a hot oven.

Nonie b 12-06-2011 07:10 AM

When using rubs, you should put lots on because much of it does fall off. Especially if you like flipping your steak frequently.

GB 12-06-2011 08:21 AM

Dry brine them. apply salt generously and wrap in plastic wrap. Park in the fridge overnight. They will be the juiciest tastiest steaks you ever had.

Constance 12-06-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyema (Post 1080195)
I agree with Andy. Salt and pepper and the highest heat possible on that thing.

Or, even better, sear in a cast iron skillet and finish in a hot oven.

Ditto this.

roadfix 12-06-2011 10:45 AM

I'm for S&P too.
After trying all sorts of different rubs I always come back to simple S&P. I like the simple life.

gs88 12-06-2011 10:54 AM

The thing is, I want it to taste like a restaurant steak. I'm from Toronto so if you have ever been to a nice steakhouse here, something like that.

I need really specific instructions as I dont cook steak often such as how long should I leave the steak out of the fridge before grilling and so on.

So there is no need to do the marinating process I was saying? I have some other rub that says to leave it on for 30min, I might try using that as well as some dry seasoning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so far. :smile:

gs88 12-06-2011 11:33 AM

I forgot to mention, i'd like to cook the steaks medium rare. I don't have a thermometer or anything, is there any other way to tell? I don't want to undercook, i'd rather overcook slightly, but if I can get it perfectly medium rare somehow in my George foreman grill that would be great.

There are no speed settings for it.

jennyema 12-06-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gs88 (Post 1080237)
The thing is, I want it to taste like a restaurant steak. I'm from Toronto so if you have ever been to a nice steakhouse here, something like that.

I need really specific instructions as I dont cook steak often such as how long should I leave the steak out of the fridge before grilling and so on.

So there is no need to do the marinating process I was saying? I have some other rub that says to leave it on for 30min, I might try using that as well as some dry seasoning.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so far. :smile:

Good steakhouses dont marinade or gunk up the meat with a rub. Especially a nice cut of meat.

They salt their meat and cook it at high heat. Sometimes they add a compound butter at the end.

Sorry to say but you will never get anything to taste like a steakhouse using a George Foreman "grill." It mostly steams whatever its cooking.

Try GB's method or plain salt and pepper with a hot skillet if you want more of a restaurant style steak.