Helpful article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw this article today about inexpensive, nutritious items to keep on hand, and thought it might be useful for many of us. Here is the link:

25 Good, Cheap Foods to Keep in Your Kitchen | Financially Fit - Yahoo! Shine

Of those listed, I've had all of these in one form or another, dried, frozen, canned, in my food this past month.
This is a basic shopping list of things kept in the house on a regular basis.

Salmon (fish)
Chicken breasts (and turkey)
Peanut butter
Beans (dried then canned)
Eggs
Lentils
Almonds (and walnuts)
Frozen fruits and berries
Apples
Bananas
Grapes (and raisins)
Lettuces
Carrots
Spinach (and other hearty greens)
Tomatoes (canned and dried)
Garlic
Sweet potatoes (and regular potatoes)
Onions
Broccoli (cauliflower, cabbage)
whole-wheat pasta (and other pasta)
Popcorn
Brown rice (and white)
Oats (old fashioned rolled)
Yogurt (and greek yogurt)
Milk (skim 1% and 2%)

Not on the list: cheese, flours, sugars, molasses, spices, citrus, ham, beef, pork, butter, honey, oil, vinegar, yeast, salt, and probably more. Some of these items are probably considered expensive versus low cost--but still necessary.

I can't imagine beans without a little ham or bacon or scalloped potatoes with ham without the ham. Pasta without a little cheese. Oatmeal or granola without some cinnamon. Popcorn without butter? Salad without dressing? Peanut butter without bread (flours)?

I don't need A LOT of the more expensive items but they do come in handy in using the less expensive items. It helps make a boring food choice, a more interesting food choice.

Thanks for the list Constance.

For the fresh produce. I live alone and could not possibly keep them on hand all the time. And there are a lot of items there that I would never use. :angel:

Got e'm, plus water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and 2 drawers full of herbs and spices. Add venison and freshly caught, cleaned, and frozen to that list as well. Also add frozen zucchini, whole wheat flour, and squash, with the squash and zucchini from my garden last summer as well as hot and sweet peppers, again frozen from my garden.

One caveat, I use whole milk as "lesser" milk has more carbs per volume, which isn't good for me. Plus, it tastes so much better.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Got e'm, plus water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and 2 drawers full of herbs and spices. Add venison and freshly caught, cleaned, and frozen to that list as well. Also add frozen zucchini, whole wheat flour, and squash, with the squash and zucchini from my garden last summer as well as hot and sweet peppers, again frozen from my garden.

One caveat, I use whole milk as "lesser" milk has more carbs per volume, which isn't good for me. Plus, it tastes so much better.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Over the years when you compare the numbers for whole milk regarding fat, carb, etc against 2%, 1%, skim milk, there is so little difference. I want the taste of whole milk. Why give up flavor for so little benefit. Sometimes the so called experts have gotten it wrong. Does eggs, coffee, alcohol, come to mind? Oh yes, now you can add red meat to that list. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom