Ms Mofet's Hot dogs with tomato & onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is good with a can of drained cannellini beans added. Sort of an Italian take on franks and beans.:pig:
Never tried that but it sounds good. Added fiber and protein is always a plus.

A review

I made this tonight for dinner.
I made a few changes... I used sausage instead of hot dogs. And white wine instead of burgundy. I also didn't use any onion and instead used 2 cups of kalamata olives... :ermm:
Just kidding :LOL:

I made this tonight and it was pretty good. It was fast, simple and the hot dogs do pick up the flavor of the sauce, so it isn't like adding hot dogs to mac & cheese where the hot dog flavor pretty much takes over. Not that there's anything wrong with that :angel:
I did make one minor addition. I added about a tsp of garlic/shallot puree. to the butter, dogs and onion as they were sautéeing, along with the red pepper flakes. I like adding my spices during the cooking process rather than the end.

Good stuff. And the sauce could easily be used for other things.

:chef:

A review

I made a few changes... I used sausage instead of hot dogs. And white wine instead of burgundy. I also didn't use any onion and instead used 2 cups of kalamata olives... :ermm:

I made this tonight and it was pretty good. It was fast, simple and the hot dogs do pick up the flavor of the sauce, so it isn't like adding hot dogs to mac & cheese where the hot dog flavor pretty much takes over. Not that there's anything wrong with that :angel:
I did make one minor addition. I added about a tsp of garlic/shallot puree. to the butter, dogs and onion as they were sautéeing, along with the red pepper flakes. I like adding my spices during the cooking process rather than the end.

Glad you liked it Pac. :chef:

A review

Outstanding! I picked up the ingredients, but haven't made it yet. I have 3 heads of new garlic now. (I was going to try out the new pealing trick.
Now I have an excuse)

I might just put a touch of curry in it to go another direction.

I did try garlic once but it changes the flavor completely so I never did it again.

I did try garlic once but it changes the flavor completely so I never did it again.

I'm sorry mismofet, I'm such a garlic freak. Every recipe I have should start; "First mince 6 cloves of garlic."

And if it has a sauce, then it's already a great recipe!

Also, I picked up a bag of small pasta shells. Those should work fine.

I'm sorry mismofet, I'm such a garlic freak. Every recipe I have should start; "First mince 6 cloves of garlic."

And if it has a sauce, then it's already a great recipe!

Also, I picked up a bag of small pasta shells. Those should work fine.
I am Italian I put garlic in almost everything. LOL

My German grandmother made a dish with hotdogs split but not cut through, then pan fried with a lot of sliced onions and chopped celery. Once the hotdogs had some color and the onions were starting to caramalize, she added stewed tomatoes. This was simmered until a little thickened. This "mess" was served over mashed potatoes. I loved it as a kid and it served our budget at the time.

Craig

my mom used to make something like this when i was a kid, serving it over white rice. good stuff.

thanks mofet. i think i'll try to make this and serve it on a hot dog bun. sorta like a hot dog sloppy joe in a way.

a sloppy dog?

Well, I made it for supper tonight and it was delicous. I added a teaspoon of garlic powder and a tablespoon of curry. I almost couldn't quit eating.

The wine sure gives it a flavor of its own.

I stirred in about a cup of grated Mexican 4-cheese blend until it was melted in good.

I may not eat for a week!

Sloppy dog. I like that idea, BT. I think I'll put the small amount of leftovers I had on a piece of toasted French bread today for lunch.

Yes, this was my first time using burgundy and I really liked the flavor it added. It doesn't jump out at you like the other red wines I use for other dishes. And it's drinkable! lol

Last edited:
ROTFL bucky!!

Glad you like it tima nd Pac.

Yes I love the flavor of burgundy. I can't deal with marsala. To strong.

You should try making burgundy gravy (for beef) for your yorkshire pudding and roast beef. YUMMY

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom