Date Nut Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I'm looking for a recipe for datenut cookies, but do not want to make pinwheels. I can make mini tarts or filled cookies, but don't have my old recipe. It has been lost somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, I have several old recipes for cookies that call for margarine. Can I substitute butter, or should I stick with the TNT?

[FONT=&quot]This is the recipe I grew up with!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Date Surprises from 1933 General Foods Cookbook titled All about Home Baking[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 cups sifted flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 t baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ t salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2/3 cup butter or shortening[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 t vanilla[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/3 cup milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sift dry ingredients together. Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla. Then add flour to butter sugar, egg mixture gradually alternating with the milk. Chill dough. Roll 1/8 inch thick and cut with 2 ½ inch round cutter. Place a teaspoon of date mixture in center and top with another round of dough. Seal/crimp edges. Bake on an ungreased tin in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Date Filling[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups pitted and chopped dates[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2/3 cup white sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2/3 cup boiling water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 T lemon juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1T butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cook water, dates and sugar together for 6 to 8 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from fire, add lemon juice and butter. Cool[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NOTES:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can substitute orange juice for the water along with some grated orange zest for a flavor boost.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is the recipe we use for date pinwheels. Just roll dough and spread with date mixture roll up. Chill, slice and bake. [/FONT]

Last edited:
That looks great Bea, that's my mom's favorite cookie. Maybe I'll make some for her when she comes down for christmas!

Thanks, Aunt Bea. Do these freeze well? I am taking cookies to the Keys for Christmas (I live in Fl) and my daughter and family will be there and they love date nut anything.

Thanks, Aunt Bea. Do these freeze well? I am taking cookies to the Keys for Christmas (I live in Fl) and my daughter and family will be there and they love date nut anything.

I think they would freeze all right but, to be honest they never lasted long enough to try it. They do keep in a tight tin or tupperware container for several days. Also if you make the pinwheels they can be kept in the refrigerator prior to slicing and baking for a few days. We just wrap the "log" in waxed paper. It might make sense to freeze the "log" and bake them fresh when you need them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom