Banana Cream Pie (w/Prebaked pie shell) Recipes, Please? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThePurpleChef

Assistant Cook
Okay, so I love bananas, and I love banana flavored things, so I thought... Why not make banana cream pie? :)

My best friend asked me what to get for it, and I told him to get me a pre-baked graham cracker crust, about 4 bananas (he got me 5), some Reddi Whip, and I already have basic baking ingredients, such as eggs, flour, butter, oil, light and dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, confectioner's sugar, baking soda and powder, vanilla extract, etc.

I was wondering if you could bake a banana cream pie with a pre-baked crust? I doubt it, but I'd like to make sure. :)

Also, I somewhat want to make the pie into... Okay, texture-wise, I want it more like a smooth, pudding consistency, but a bit more firm.

Would I have to make pudding on the stovetop, and then bake it? I'm not sure. xP

A recipe would be really nice, too. :) Thanks in advance! <3

Last edited:
I've made banana cream pie using instant banana pudding. No cooking involved. Easy and tasty.

I have to say--I hate almost everything banana (it is the texture combined with the smell), but when my parents owned a restaurant, banana cream pie was made with pudding, put in a pre-baked pie crust, and topped with whipped cream to which some sour cream was added. Supposedly, the aversion to the smell of bananas is genetic. I have that gene-the smell of bananas makes me gag. But, I can eat (and make) banana bread. Weird.

Last edited:
Banana cream pie is made with a box of pudding and not real bananas?! In that case half of our membership must have never had banana cream pie ;)
Seriously, I always figured it was made with the real thing. I'm learning all kinds of nifty stuff here this morning.

Banana cream pie is made with a box of pudding and not real bananas?! In that case half of our membership must have never had banana cream pie ;)
Seriously, I always figured it was made with the real thing. I'm learning all kinds of nifty stuff here this morning.

No, Pac, sorry for the confusion:

Graham cracker crust,
sliced bananas,
pour banana pudding over (instant, mixed to directions),
top with whipped cream.
Chill & serve.

And yes, I've made it without bananas, but just called it cream pie. It's a quick, tasty. no bake pie.:chef:

Last edited:
Thanks Z.
So you still use pudding mix though? I guess I figured it was made from pureed bananas. I'm not much of a pie maker, baked or otherwise.

Thanks Z.
So you still use pudding mix though? I guess I figured it was made from pureed bananas. I'm not much of a pie maker, baked or otherwise.

With the instant pudding, even you can make a pie. I'm no baker either, so this one's easy enough for me.

I enjoy banana cream pie on day one but, I have never been able to find a way to keep the bananas from turning black and watery on day two.

The last time made it I put a freshly cut up banana on the top but, it is just not the same.

Any ideas?

Banana cream pie filling is a pastry cream cooked on the stovetop (like a pudding), them bananas are either layered in the pre baked pie shell (either graham or pastry) or just stirred into the pudding mixture, and poured into the shell. There should be no baking involved if using a pre made graham cracker pie shell. Then after is it completely chilled, top with whipped cream.

I see no reason to bake this type of filling.

I enjoy banana cream pie on day one but, I have never been able to find a way to keep the bananas from turning black and watery on day two.

The last time made it I put a freshly cut up banana on the top but, it is just not the same.

Any ideas?

Oh yea, that would be nasty with the bananas turning black.

Okay well, does anyone have a homemade banana pudding recipe, then? (I think some recipes have gelatin in them; give me some w/o gelatin, please? :) ) I like doing as many things from scratch as I can. :)

Aunt Bea said:

Any ideas?

Try using stainless steel knives when cutting them, and brush (NOT soak/drench) them with some lemon juice to prevent oxidization. :)

Okay, so I love bananas, and I love banana flavored things, so I thought... Why not make banana cream pie? :)

Would I have to make pudding on the stovetop, and then bake it? I'm not sure.

Anytime I have made banana pie I have always used the cooking style vanilla pudding. You can make it in the microwave. Directions on the box. If you are looking for a strong banana flavor in your cream filling, try to mash the banana with a masher or fork, and make sure the banana has some spots on the skin. The riper the banana, the stronger the taste and the softer the banana. You can thin out the bananas out with a little bit of milk. I would use only one banana. Add the mashed banana to the cream filling. Or you might try to give them a whirl in the food processor or blender.

I have never done it, but I wonder if putting the mashed banana in the filling before you cook the cream, would work? I would think that you would have to use a couple of tablespoons of the milk called for in the cream before you add it to the cream filling. I have always added the banana after the cream filling was cooked.

When ever I have bananas that are on its last legs, I put them in the freezer. The skin turns an ugly black, but the bananas are as if you just bought them. They also mash easier once they are thawed out. :chef:

I think we used a banana pudding at the restaurant, but I can't swear to that. I usually made the donuts! I do know that the banana slices were on the bottom and that the pastry cook drenched them in lemon juice first. I never ate it--my banana aversion.

Any ideas?

There have been a good selection of bananas available lately, so I'm able to choose 3 slightly green bananas. They can make 3 days while still just ripe.

We don't use banana pudding for our banana pie...just vanilla. I don't see why you couldn't add maybe one smashed banana to it though, to give it more flavor. I would wait until the pudding is done before adding it. Put the other bananas in the crust and pour the finished pudding over them.

Vanilla Pudding
Mix together in a two quart microwave bowl:
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cook on high in microwave for 3 minutes and stir.
Cook an additional minute at a time until thickened.

Mine get done in 4-5 minutes total...we have 1150 watt microwaves.
(you may cook it on the stovetop...but must stir often)

I prefer cooked puddings over the instant. And it's not a food snob issue either. Cooked just tastes better and holds up to additions and changes to the original recipe whether you use cooked box or cooked original recipe. :chef:

I have to say--I hate almost everything banana (it is the texture combined with the smell), but when my parents owned a restaurant, banana cream pie was made with pudding, put in a pre-baked pie crust, and topped with whipped cream to which some sour cream was added. Supposedly, the aversion to the smell of bananas is genetic. I have that gene-the smell of bananas makes me gag. But, I can eat (and make) banana bread. Weird.

I think I have that gene too. For some reason it doesn't apply to banana bread. It does apply to just about anything with warm or very ripe banana. I didn't even want to try banana bread. Sounded gross, but it isn't.

I have tried banana cream pie and it's even worse than coconut cream pie.

I like raw banana as long as there is a bit of green on the peel. When they are ripe enough for my DH, they are way too ripe for me.

Back
Top Bottom