What pan is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VitaWright

Cook
I am always on the lookout for cookware at thrift stores to use for camping. I have loads of cast iron but for some things I have picked up a few non stick pans as much as I hate non stick.

Anyway, I picked up a 12" Calphalon pan today. It has a sort of chalkboard surface to it. Dull and not shiny like non stick would be. Is this hard anodized? If so, how do I take care of it and is there anything special I should know about cooking with it. Thanks!

Vita

Better go to the Calaphon site and make sure which product you have. They make several different non-stick surfaces. Some are safe for dishwasher but not for metal utensils. Some are okay for all utensils but not for dishwasher. Some are not for either. Hard anodized is okay for broiler. Most others are not for broiler or over 450 degrees. There are something like twelve different Calaphon "non-stick coating" lines, in addition to enamel and stainless lines.

Is it the same greyish black finish inside and out? Is it magnetic? Is it as heavy as a SS pan?

Is it the same greyish black finish inside and out? Is it magnetic? Is it as heavy as a SS pan?

Yes, not sure, and yes.

I would say its nearly as heavy as cast iron. The larger number on the underside is 1392. Under that is is the number 286109 0.

If it's not a great pan it's fine. It was only $3.99 but it looked to be in such awesome and rarely used shape that I couldn't pass it up.

I might add that it doesn't seem like any non stick I have ever seen. That's why I assume it's something else. Same inside and out and looks like a chalkboard.

Last edited:
It sounds like hard anodized aluminum. Go to their website and enter those numbers in the search box to see what pops up. Also, compare your pan visually with the pics on the website.

If the interior and exterior are exactly the same surface, I'm going to make a guess that it's anodized. If it's black, hard anodized. If it's gray, Calaphon One Infused Anodized, which is out of production, I think. Both are safe for metal utensils and safe for oven and broiling. No dishwasher, no abrasives. Barkeepers Friend and Scotch Bright Pads are okay. No magic use instructions. Use pretty much as you would stainless steel. (Except I don't use metal in my stainless and probably wouldn't in anodized. And you'll always here from someone who puts them in the dishwasher and says they're okay.)

Great deal, Vita! A $95 omelette pan for $3.99! I love finding good values when I shop.

I'll tell you the reason it probably wasn't used much is that it's just TOO DAMN BIG! I have a similar one that was in my Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized set and I found that the burner on my stove is too small to heat up evenly. I am holding on it for the day I get a Viking (next year maybe, Santa?) but it generally doesn't get a lot of wear-and-tear around my place even though I do keep it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom